looking for a book for game programming concepts.

hi :slight_smile:
i’ve been learning alot about the basic math that is necessary for video games and the basics of opengl. i would like to learn more about the higher level concepts in games, like programming customs in video game design or collision detection or animation. i want a book that walks me through the complicated concepts that use the building blocks that im learning
thanks alot

I would suggest the following:
Jason Gregory - Game Engine Architecture
ISBN: 978-1-56881-413-1

As the title says, it gives an overview of the architecture of a game engine (including the things you mentioned) and
also contains a very easy walk-through through the basic linear algebra necessary for 3D rendering and animation.

I’m not sure if there is a newer version of the book or a more current book on the topic. My copy of the book says it’s from
2009 but the overall concepts should still hold (and mathematical basics don’t change that fast).

Furthermore, I suggest the following:
Thomas Akenine-Möller, Eric Haines, Naty Hoffman - Real-Time Rendering, 3rd edition
ISBN 978-1-56881-424-7

As the title suggests, it contains essentials on real-time 3D rendering and animation, however on a higher and more
abstract level (the book is not about software design). It is assumed that the reader already undestands linear algebra
(apart from the appendices on linear algebra and trigonometry primer). It is always practical to have around for looking
up things. Including, for instance explanations of collision detection algorithms with pseudo code samples.
I would say it’s a must-read for real-time 3D rendering (and probably makes up a major fraction of the citations of every
scientific work I ever wrote).