Local copy

Hello ,

It is my first post on this forum, :smiley: HELLO EVERYBODY!!!

I am a beginner in OpenCL so I have installed OpenCL on ubuntu and they are few example and one about sobel filter.

I already saw other example on sobel filter but this one is special. The other example of sobel filter took split in workgroup and all workitem worked independently. But in this example (if I well understand the program) created a local variable. Here is the kerel code:

/*
 * Copyright 1993-2010 NVIDIA Corporation.  All rights reserved.
 * Please refer to the NVIDIA end user license agreement (EULA) associated
 * with this source code for terms and conditions that govern your use of
 * this software. Any use, reproduction, disclosure, or distribution of
 * this software and related documentation outside the terms of the EULA
 * is strictly prohibited.
 */

// RGB Sobel gradient intensity filter kernel 
// Uses 32 bit GMEM reads into a block of LMEM padded for apron of radius = 1 (3x3 neighbor op)
// Gradient intensity is from RSS combination of H and V gradient components
// R, G and B gradient intensities are treated separately then combined with linear weighting
//
// Implementation below is equivalent to linear 2D convolutions for H and V compoonents with:
//	    Convo Coefs for Horizontal component {1,0,-1,   2,0,-2,  1,0,-1}
//	    Convo Coefs for Vertical component   {-1,-2,-1,  0,0,0,  1,2,1};
//*****************************************************************************
__kernel void ckSobel(__global uchar4* uc4Source, __global unsigned int* uiDest,
                      __local uchar4* uc4LocalData, int iLocalPixPitch, 
                      int iImageWidth, int iDevImageHeight, float fThresh)
{
    // Get parent image x and y pixel coordinates from global ID, and compute offset into parent GMEM data
    int iImagePosX = get_global_id(0);
    int iDevYPrime = get_global_id(1) - 1;  // Shift offset up 1 radius (1 row) for reads
    int iDevGMEMOffset = mul24(iDevYPrime, (int)get_global_size(0)) + iImagePosX; 

// Compute initial offset of current pixel within work group LMEM block
    int iLocalPixOffset = mul24((int)get_local_id(1), iLocalPixPitch) + get_local_id(0) + 1;

// Main read of GMEM data into LMEM
    if((iDevYPrime > -1) && (iDevYPrime < iDevImageHeight) && (iImagePosX < iImageWidth))
    {
        uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset] = uc4Source[iDevGMEMOffset];
    }
    else 
    {
        uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset] = (uchar4)0; 
    }

// Work items with y ID < 2 read bottom 2 rows of LMEM 
    if (get_local_id(1) < 2)
    {
        // Increase local offset by 1 workgroup LMEM block height
        // to read in top rows from the next block region down
        iLocalPixOffset += mul24((int)get_local_size(1), iLocalPixPitch);

// If source offset is within the image boundaries
        if (((iDevYPrime + get_local_size(1)) < iDevImageHeight) && (iImagePosX < iImageWidth))
        {
            // Read in top rows from the next block region down
            uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset] = uc4Source[iDevGMEMOffset + mul24(get_local_size(1), get_global_size(0))];
        }
        else 
        {
        }
    }

// Work items with x ID at right workgroup edge will read Left apron pixel
    if (get_local_id(0) == (get_local_size(0) - 1))
    {
        // set local offset to read data from the next region over
        iLocalPixOffset = mul24((int)get_local_id(1), iLocalPixPitch);

// If source offset is within the image boundaries and not at the leftmost workgroup
        if ((iDevYPrime > -1) && (iDevYPrime < iDevImageHeight) && (get_group_id(0) > 0))
        {
            // Read data into the LMEM apron from the GMEM at the left edge of the next block region over
            uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset] = uc4Source[mul24(iDevYPrime, (int)get_global_size(0)) + mul24(get_group_id(0), get_local_size(0)) - 1];
        }
        else 
        {
        }

// If in the bottom 2 rows of workgroup block 
        if (get_local_id(1) < 2)
        {
            // Increase local offset by 1 workgroup LMEM block height
            // to read in top rows from the next block region down
            iLocalPixOffset += mul24((int)get_local_size(1), iLocalPixPitch);

// If source offset in the next block down isn't off the image and not at the leftmost workgroup
            if (((iDevYPrime + get_local_size(1)) < iDevImageHeight) && (get_group_id(0) > 0))
            {
                // read in from GMEM (reaching down 1 workgroup LMEM block height and left 1 pixel)
                uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset] = uc4Source[mul24((iDevYPrime + (int)get_local_size(1)), (int)get_global_size(0)) + mul24(get_group_id(0), get_local_size(0)) - 1];
            }
            else 
            {
            }
        }
    } 
    else if (get_local_id(0) == 0) // Work items with x ID at left workgroup edge will read right apron pixel
    {
        // set local offset 
        iLocalPixOffset = mul24(((int)get_local_id(1) + 1), iLocalPixPitch) - 1;

if ((iDevYPrime > -1) && (iDevYPrime < iDevImageHeight) && (mul24(((int)get_group_id(0) + 1), (int)get_local_size(0)) < iImageWidth))
        {
            // read in from GMEM (reaching left 1 pixel) if source offset is within image boundaries
            uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset] = uc4Source[mul24(iDevYPrime, (int)get_global_size(0)) + mul24((get_group_id(0) + 1), get_local_size(0))];
        }
        else 
        {
        }

// Read bottom 2 rows of workgroup LMEM block
        if (get_local_id(1) < 2)
        {
            // increase local offset by 1 workgroup LMEM block height
            iLocalPixOffset += (mul24((int)get_local_size(1), iLocalPixPitch));

if (((iDevYPrime + get_local_size(1)) < iDevImageHeight) && (mul24((get_group_id(0) + 1), get_local_size(0)) < iImageWidth) )
            {
                // read in from GMEM (reaching down 1 workgroup LMEM block height and left 1 pixel) if source offset is within image boundaries
                uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset] = uc4Source[mul24((iDevYPrime + (int)get_local_size(1)), (int)get_global_size(0)) + mul24((get_group_id(0) + 1), get_local_size(0))];
            }
            else 
            {
            }
        }
    }

// Synchronize the read into LMEM
    barrier(CLK_LOCAL_MEM_FENCE);

// Init summation registers to zero
    float fTemp = 0.0f; 
    float fHSum [3] = {0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f};
    float fVSum [3] = {0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f};

// set local offset
    iLocalPixOffset = mul24((int)get_local_id(1), iLocalPixPitch) + get_local_id(0);

// NW
	fHSum[0] += (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].x;    // horizontal gradient of Red
	fHSum[1] += (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].y;    // horizontal gradient of Green
	fHSum[2] += (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].z;    // horizontal gradient of Blue
    fVSum[0] -= (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].x;    // vertical gradient of Red
	fVSum[1] -= (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].y;    // vertical gradient of Green
	fVSum[2] -= (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset++].z;  // vertical gradient of Blue

// N
	fVSum[0] -= (float)(uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].x << 1);  // vertical gradient of Red
	fVSum[1] -= (float)(uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].y << 1);  // vertical gradient of Green
	fVSum[2] -= (float)(uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset++].z << 1);// vertical gradient of Blue

// NE
	fHSum[0] -= (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].x;    // horizontal gradient of Red
	fHSum[1] -= (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].y;    // horizontal gradient of Green
	fHSum[2] -= (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].z;    // horizontal gradient of Blue
	fVSum[0] -= (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].x;    // vertical gradient of Red
	fVSum[1] -= (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].y;    // vertical gradient of Green
	fVSum[2] -= (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].z;    // vertical gradient of Blue

// increment LMEM block to next row, and unwind increments
    iLocalPixOffset += (iLocalPixPitch - 2);    

// W
	fHSum[0] += (float)(uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].x << 1);  // vertical gradient of Red
	fHSum[1] += (float)(uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].y << 1);  // vertical gradient of Green
	fHSum[2] += (float)(uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset++].z << 1);// vertical gradient of Blue

// C
    iLocalPixOffset++;

// E
	fHSum[0] -= (float)(uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].x << 1);  // vertical gradient of Red
	fHSum[1] -= (float)(uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].y << 1);  // vertical gradient of Green
	fHSum[2] -= (float)(uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].z << 1);  // vertical gradient of Blue

// increment LMEM block to next row, and unwind increments
    iLocalPixOffset += (iLocalPixPitch - 2);    

// SW
	fHSum[0] += (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].x;    // horizontal gradient of Red
	fHSum[1] += (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].y;    // horizontal gradient of Green
	fHSum[2] += (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].z;    // horizontal gradient of Blue
	fVSum[0] += (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].x;    // vertical gradient of Red
	fVSum[1] += (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].y;    // vertical gradient of Green
	fVSum[2] += (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset++].z;  // vertical gradient of Blue

// S
	fVSum[0] += (float)(uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].x << 1);  // vertical gradient of Red
	fVSum[1] += (float)(uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].y << 1);  // vertical gradient of Green
	fVSum[2] += (float)(uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset++].z << 1);// vertical gradient of Blue

// SE
	fHSum[0] -= (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].x;    // horizontal gradient of Red
	fHSum[1] -= (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].y;    // horizontal gradient of Green
	fHSum[2] -= (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].z;    // horizontal gradient of Blue
	fVSum[0] += (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].x;    // vertical gradient of Red
	fVSum[1] += (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].y;    // vertical gradient of Green
	fVSum[2] += (float)uc4LocalData[iLocalPixOffset].z;    // vertical gradient of Blue

// Weighted combination of Root-Sum-Square per-color-band H & V gradients for each of RGB
	fTemp =  0.30f * sqrt((fHSum[0] * fHSum[0]) + (fVSum[0] * fVSum[0]));
	fTemp += 0.55f * sqrt((fHSum[1] * fHSum[1]) + (fVSum[1] * fVSum[1]));
	fTemp += 0.15f * sqrt((fHSum[2] * fHSum[2]) + (fVSum[2] * fVSum[2]));

// threshold and clamp
    if (fTemp < fThresh)
    {
        fTemp = 0.0f;
    }
    else if (fTemp > 255.0f)
    {
        fTemp = 255.0f;
    }

// pack into a monochrome uint 
    unsigned int uiPackedPix = 0x000000FF & (unsigned int)fTemp;
    uiPackedPix |= 0x0000FF00 & (((unsigned int)fTemp) << 8);
    uiPackedPix |= 0x00FF0000 & (((unsigned int)fTemp) << 16);

// Write out to GMEM with restored offset
    if((iDevYPrime + 1 < iDevImageHeight) && (iImagePosX < iImageWidth))
    {
        uiDest[iDevGMEMOffset + get_global_size(0)] = uiPackedPix;
    }
}

The uc4LocalData is the size of : (iLocalPixPitch * (iBlockDimY + 2) * sizeof(cl_uchar4)) with

int iLocalPixPitch = iBlockDimX + 2;
int iBlockDimX = 16;
int iBlockDimY = 4;

All workitems seem to fill the uc4LocalData at their glocal position and some of other fill the rest of the uc4LocalData because uc4LocalData is greated than iBlockDimX x iBlockDimY to allow all the workitem of the workfgroup to apply the sobel filter.

Can someone tell me if I am wrong about this?

And then why take a local variable uc4LocalData , why can directly access to the global image for each workitem ?

Best regard.

It is much faster to use local memory for intermediate calculations than to use global image. For example, if you use a buffer that was created with USE_HOST_MEM, your GPU have to
a) access ordinary RAM using the bandwidth and PCI-E interfaces.
b) force the CPU to update its cache memory.
(this is how AMD runtime works anyways)
And it happens whenever you read or write something into global memory.

If your kernel looks something like this

__kernel void mul2(__global int* in, __global int* out){
 out[get_global_id(0) = in[get_global_id(0)] * 2;
}

local memory gives you no benefit.

If your kernel uses some data repeatedly, but this data does not overlap amongst different work items, you may store it in private memory first and then proceed with calculations.

And since I canā€™t write my messages in one go, an appendix:

If it seems hard to utilize local memory for your algorithm, you should look into prefetch functions. They force your GPU to fill the L2 cache preemptively. It may improve perfomance if used correctly (and vice versa. No common recomendations exist).

[QUOTE=Salabar;31534]And since I canā€™t write my messages in one go, an appendix:

If it seems hard to utilize local memory for your algorithm, you should look into prefetch functions. They force your GPU to fill the L2 cache preemptively. It may improve perfomance if used correctly (and vice versa. No common recomendations exist).[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the anwers.
Do you know where could I find more information about the steps between the RAM/L1 and L2 cache when we use local or global memory?

I want to use gDEBugger to debug my applications, I donā€™t really understand for the moment if it is an IDE or just a sort of probe to see whatā€™s happend in the GPU?

I do not remember how did I find it, but you may look for ā€œOpenCL Optimization Guideā€ somewhere around here:
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/
But as I can see, you have an NVIDIA GPU, which means youā€™d better use NVIDIAā€™s guides.

Regarding debug, Iā€™m of no help here. I use the AMDā€™s printf extension or that. :smiley:

Thank you very much for the answers.