Load blender models

how can i load a blender model ?

AFAIK you can’t, but you can use python to write an exporter, I even heard about 3ds or vrml exporters available somewhere, don’t know if its true.

-Lev

Ive posted to the french thread.
The ‘.obj’’ format is undocumented, but python scripting is possible since python API is documented.
You can find in www.blender.nl exporters to various formats such as vrml.

Blender directly supports exporting to DXF & VRML. You can either use these formats, or the much simpler OBJ format, by first using a suitable converter like 3dto3d (http://www.stmuc.com/thbaier/products.html).

For more information on OBJ (Alias|Wavefront Object), you can see: http://www.j3d.org/utilities/loaders/obj/sun.html

Hope this helps,
Ranjit.

thanks,

but i don’t want to use external transformers. I just want to make a little lib that can load some 3D models files as 3ds (i’m doing it now), ASE (as 3ds), lightwave, dxf (in build) and blender. As this, i want to load *.blender files, no wrl (but that’s may be interressant to have such a functionnality for net).

Again, you CAN’T import blender’s obj files because there is no fixed format for obj files. These are just crude copy of blender data into files. Even blender 2.22 can’t read blender 2.20 files (for exemple).

thats not true, you can read in old blender files, even between major revisions (like 2.14, 2.20, etc). the one thing you cant do is load in a file that has the old “IKA’s” with a version of blender that has the new “armatures”. but thats about it as far as incompatability. i dont think they have really changed their internal format enough for the files to be incompatible.

some people have been able to load blender files in directly, but only very simple ones, as far as i know. unfortunately, i dont remember who or where they posted what they had done…

OK,
thanks.
if blender change its format each new version( even if minus changes), that’s **** !!
But i must load files from free modelers. As now, i only load 3ds (and a little ASE) that are propriatary (and alomost Windows) formats.
And i only know blender, giram for free stuffs. And as i know giram isn’t finished.

i put an add to all the free software community: does someone wants to make a real free GPL good modeler, with free opened formats ?

no, i may only use vrml and dxf (that’s may be good for blender support).

anyway thanks for all

JD

Originally posted by jide:
i put an add to all the free software community: does someone wants to make a real free GPL good modeler, with free opened formats ?

Well, I guess this is your lucky day

Have a look here: http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?scope=0&submit.x=23&submit.y=2&file=69671

It’s called Aztec, it’s not GPL (anymore) anyway… it’s easy to make a import/export plugin.

Currently I’m working my *ss off to get the website online, where you can d/l a plugin SDK with examples of how to write plugins for Aztec.
(and of course there’s a tutorial and the newest version of Aztec)

It has a user friendly interface (a bit like Maya) and you can already create some very nice models.
Next year it should also be possible to create meshes deformed by bones using IK/FK.

I’ve also just finished an OBJ imp/exporter which should be included with the next release.

When the website is online I could post the link here if you want?

(NOTE: Aztec is not a program written by myself, it’s originally written by Phillip Martin, the creator of the Quake2 Modeller)

Originally posted by jide:
with free opened formats ?

Oops… forgive me my ignorance… I didn’t read that line…

why ?

isn’t it an opened format ?

anyway, thanks for aztek. it will maybe useful.

Do you know Giram ? this is an entirely gpl modeler, but i don’t know in which state it is now.

can i know how are you implied in Aztek ?

JD

**** !!

i weren’t on the site before my reply.

this seems only a windaube programm !!

don’t matter, thanks for all

why ?

isn’t it an opened format ?

Well, it’s open, but for some parts in the native Aztec file format you need a plugin to create objects.
IMHO it would be more handy to just create your own file format (like many people do) or just use one of the other supported formats (OBJ/MD3/MilkShape ASCII (soon)/more to come)

anyway, thanks for aztek. it will maybe useful.

Do you know Giram ? this is an entirely gpl modeler, but i don’t know in which state it is now.

Sorry, I don’t know Giram.

can i know how are you implied in Aztek ?

I’m doing some programming for Aztec (C++) and all of the webstuff (PHP/HTML/Graphics).

i’ve done my own format (it hasn’t all datas at now), but i don’t know which portability and useness it could have. Who would use it ?

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.