"Lighting"

What is the best way to create light without using GL lighting and or polygons with light looking textures on them? Isn’t there a way to cast rays away from the light position or something?

I’m wondering because in the BSP File format it stores “lights” in the entities lump and there is even a seperate lighting lump. I’m just looking for the best way to give the appearance of light.

This will also be coupled with lightmaps.

Originally posted by 31337:
I’m just looking for the best way to give the appearance of light.

I want to know this too

Lights are stored in the entity lump so that q3map -light can load them. The game itself doesn’t use them.

And what on earth does q3map -light do? It seems like it would control the graphical lighting…

Erm… Are you sure you want to do ray-tracing, providing you are writing a real-time application?

Well, do you mean, not using the legacy fixed function pipeline of OpenGL? In which case you should turn to vertex/fragment programs But, to my knowledge, there is no native support for doing lighting, by the fixed function pipeline, other than by vertex lights or lightmaps…

Originally posted by PixelDuck:
Well, do you mean, not using the legacy fixed function pipeline of OpenGL? In which case you should turn to vertex/fragment programs

Per pixel lighting can be done using the standard fixed pipeline using the GL_DOT3 multitexturing state as well (never seen Doom3 on a gf2mx?)

See http://tfpsly.planet-d.net/english/3d/pplight_bump.html

EDIT: more polit

[This message has been edited by tfpsly (edited 05-12-2003).]

Erm… Why are you being hostile? I just forgot about that, k?

[This message has been edited by PixelDuck (edited 05-12-2003).]

Actually, maybe I will use GL Lighting

GL Lighting is poop. Use per-pixel lighting instead. You can still use lightmaps at the same time if you want.

-SirKnight