Library problems

When you do 3d programming in openGL, you’ll need some libraries right. And when you want to run this program in another computer, you’ll need to bring along the dlls right. How can I make my program run without the dlls. Is there libraries out there that don’t use dll like glut.dll, sdl.dll, just static link libraries.

You can always download the source and build a static library yourself. I believe both of them are open source. GLUT is, but dunno about SDL.

I didn’t found any glut source but I’ve found sdl with source code. But the problem is it’s huge!

aa-a-a-a-nd what’s the problem with that?

I just don’t get it, the code is too messy.

You don’t need to know the code. If there’s a project that allows you to compile a .DLL, just change the project settings to output a static .LIB instead. Messy code or not, it’s the project settings that matters.

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 10-02-2001).]

SDL is messy? What non-commercially-available products have you been inhibiting?

SDL is a triumph of design. From the last time I looked at it, it had

• a clean, well specified interface
  • documented code following a well defined coding standard
  • man pages for all library functions.

If you think its ‘messy’, then scratch team-based softrware engineering off your list of Careers To Aspire To.

Cheers,
John

Calm down man, have I said the wrong words? Don’t take my words too seriously.

and i was perfectly calm. <nods> but sdl is not messy, doesn;t approach BEING messy and is, in general, very non-messy like.

Originally posted by Bob:
[b]You don’t need to know the code. If there’s a project that allows you to compile a .DLL, just change the project settings to output a static .LIB instead. Messy code or not, it’s the project settings that matters.

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 10-02-2001).][/b]

I can’t seem to find it. In project setting?

Just create a new project with the correct settings if there’s any problem.

Use GLFW!

opengl.freehosting.net/glfw

Gives you the source (small and simple), and static linking.

/Marcus