libGL and libGLU exported functions

Hi
I am currently looking for writing special GL and GLU libraries, but I can’t find a list of all the exported functions/types.
If someone could point me to some reference page, or an online book, it would be extremely appreciated.
Thanks ahead.

PPC_Digger.

You can download the reference to OpenGL and GLU from this page. They contain an index of all functions and tokens… There are also the extension specs, which contain summaries of all added functions.

And of course you can read the header files or use objdump (i think on windows this is called depends) on the library.

But be aware that while some extension functions may be exported on your system you can only assume unextended OpenGL 1.1 functions to be available everywhere, everything else has to be dynamically loaded through the extension mechanism.

So I should start with OpenGL 1.1 and then see about other things?
Another question: What versions are available on Linux (X.org 6.8), on Mac OS 10.3 and on Windows 2000? As these are the platforms I intend to develop on.

EDIT: I just found out that Windows supports 1.1, Mac OS always supports 1.1 (later versions with newer graphics adapters) and Linux supports 1.4 with Mesa 5. So I guess I just take your advice and start with 1.1.
Thank You.

Can you please explain more precisely what are you trying to do?

Write an own implementation of gl and glu? Or learn it?

Depending on the graphic card you can get up to OpenGL 2.0 on any of these platforms, 1.5 should be possible with any decent graphics card. Software rendering with Mesa supports 1.5, too.

But at least on Windows the functions of OpenGL >1.1 are not exported directly, but only through the extension loading mechanism. That does not mean you can’t use them, it’s just not as simple as including a header and calling them.

In fact, OpenGL 1.1 is missing some very basic functionality like multitexturing, so I would recommend starting with at least OpenGL 1.2.

Actually, I don’t tell it to anyone (I don’t want anyone stealing my idea - I’ll post here when it will be done), but I’ll tell you this - the things I want to write, in general, are new libraries for Mac OS X.

Have fun :slight_smile:

SGI had released some free gl implementation + there is mesa

You can look into it if you want

p.s. there is no need to write glu anew, the code for it is freely available. You’ll be just fine if you write the gl part

p.p.s. i respect your secrecy, but will this be just another software gl implementation?

I suggest you share before wasting your time.

A new glu & gl library? Secret so nobody steals your idea?

Sigh!

Trust me nobody is gonna run off and implement OpenGL in a hurry.

w.r.t. entry points, take a look at gl.h and glu.h and glext.h

On an apple I think the glue is called agl, but I don’t know what the header is called.

People have written software versions of the libraries, they’ve written wrappers to intercept OpenGL & save to disk, to add stereo, to add cheats, to add instrumenting and benchmarks, to load alternate libraries on the fly, to add distortion correction for funky displays, they’ve even written wrappers to scale performance across multiple systems.

cheats?

Originally posted by Zengar:
[b]Have fun :slight_smile:

SGI had released some free gl implementation + there is mesa

You can look into it if you want

p.s. there is no need to write glu anew, the code for it is freely available. You’ll be just fine if you write the gl part[/b]

Originally posted by dorbie:
[b]w.r.t. entry points, take a look at gl.h and glu.h and glext.h

On an apple I think the glue is called agl, but I don’t know what the header is called.
[/b]
Thank you both for the info.

Originally posted by Zengar
p.p.s. i respect your secrecy, but will this be just another software gl implementation?

Close, but not exactly.

Originally posted by dorbie:
A new glu & gl library? Secret so nobody steals your idea?
I assure you, when I publish it you will agree with me.