Java + OpenGL

Hi to everyone. I’m starting to learn Java for my work. Googling about Java + OpenGL I saw that I need some bindings for the language. Is there an official binding I can get or something? If not, have you heard of anything else? Right now, I’m pretty fluent on OpenGL + C, but have no clue how I go about it in Java.

Sorry for the hassle.
Got it!

There are many listed on that page. Which one are you going to choose?

I’m going for jogl. My problem is even though I downloaded and install the jar and the app builds I can’t run it because of some security problems with rmid if I remember correctly. If someone can help…
But I don’t need it fast, I’ll look more into it at a later stage if I get the time.

JOGL and LWJGL are the two main OpenGL bindings that are current.

JOGL is Sun developed and LWJGL is community developed. Personally, I favor LWJGL more than JOGL, but I support both in my development activities.

The other bindings listed on the Java/OpenGL page are defunct. Java3D is a scenegraph.

Check out the Java Gaming community for the JOGL forum: www.javagaming.org and click on “discussion forums” on the left. Ask your questions there and you will receive plenty of assistance.