Is there such File Format ?

I have a lot of 3D Studio Files ,
I’m writing a program in MSVC+OpenGL , but i don’t know how to load these objects into my program , so I decided that I’ll search for an ascii file format which contain data of a 3D object and draw it using OpenGL , it must contain :
(a)vertices data
(b)face data (3/4 points from (a) and RGB color of face)

my question :
a)Is there such known format which has it (including face color!) ?
b)Is there converter from common formats to that format ?

[This message has been edited by byaniv (edited 06-14-2000).]

I think there are lots of those around.
The first two that come to my mind are Alias|Wavefront’s *.OBJ format, and a little more complicated to parse or convert are VRML2 files.

The problem is that I need a simple file format :
just a vertices,faces from those vertices and face color
I know that there are a lot of file-formats but they full of a lot of other stuff like lighting info
I need something like the raw format (=just vertices) but also plus face-color information , 10ks in advance .

Originally posted by Relic:
[b]I think there are lots of those around.
The first two that come to my mind are Alias|Wavefront’s *.OBJ format, and a little more complicated to parse or convert are VRML2 files.

[/b]

Well, if thats the file format you want then simply make your data files fit your specification. You don’t have to use some well known format if you aren’t planning on making the data viewable in other programs.

One other solution,if you don’t mind having hardcoded objects,is to get a copy of 3d Exploration.It let’s you output 3ds files as OpenGL code,but you can make it save out only the data that you need,(I.E vertices,surfaces,etc.).

If you wanted to get creative,you could make a file parser that opened those OGL files and read in the proper data.
Just a thought…

Chris