is it time to lose the Nvidia geforce card?

Hi all,

I have been digging around for 3 weeks to figure out why Nvidia cards don’t work well in opengl. I see countless complaints about problems running older games in opengl with Nvidia. This seems to be focused on windows 2000 and some issues with xp. Microsoft’s knowlege base artical from 10-10-2002 confirms opengl issues with Nvidia under windows 2000. My games do run with opengl, running the newest client opengl driver.
My games run but look like crap! I shouldn’t have to crank up the gl_modulate to 6 to see anything! Even then, the red shift look make me feel like I’m playing on mars. This is a Nvidia driver issue - NO DAMM SUPPORT FOR GL!
I’ts a shame my geforce 4 ti4200 rocks except for opengl, which is most of my games.
I’m looking for change. I am looking at the ATI radeon 9700 for a possable solution. ATI does seem to support there products well.

Anyone out there have any comments about the radeon 9700 with windows 2000. I really need to know is ATI supports opengl with this card. I don’t see any negative posts about the radeon in regards to opengl problems.

Anything you all could tell me would be most helpfull.

Thanks
jfisher

I solved my problem (could not play Half life or any other modes of the game in another way than “Sofware-mod” !! so i had no opengl nor direct3d)
my drivers were are all up to date (leadtek gforce4 mx440 running on wind2k) i downloaded this file :
nVidia Refresh Rate Fix MKII for Detonator 40.41
(nividia’s script modified by a programmer)
at this addresse : http://www.voodoofiles.com/7780

and reduced my screen rate from 85hz to 75hz

now half life runs smooth and fine

Features of this file

• Solves 60 Hz bug for DirectDraw, Direct3D and OpenGL
  • Lets you specify refresh rates from 60 up to 240.
  • Compatible to Detonator 40.41
  • Also works with older Detonators, since 28.32

Description
If you have a nVidia graphics card, you’ll probably know about the very common bug, that occurs together with the nVidia Detonator drivers under Windows NT/2000/XP: Normally, you can’t get a higher refresh rate than 60 Hz in the OpenGL/Direct3D modes, which makes you very blind after a while of gaming. :wink: I programmed this tool, to fix this bug, since I could not find an existing tool for this on the internet, which is compatible with the new official Detonator v28.32 drivers. There already were some tools around that supported the older Detonator versions.