Is it possible to update my glsl version?

i am trying to open an openGL program that i compiled from the source code in a tutorial (to see if everything was supported, wich it turns out it isn’t…)
i know that my hardware supports openGL up to 4.0, but glsl doesnt seem to have nearly good enought support. i get this message when trying to rune the program:

Error compiling shader type 35633: '0:2(10): error: GLSL 3.30 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.00 ES, 1.10, 1.20, and 1.30

granted this may be caused by me not compiling correctly, as this is my first day with ubuntu(windows screwed me over one final time, so i switched :3)
any way to get better glsl support? or do i need to buy better hardware?

EDIT: or is it possible that the ubuntu system limits the version i can use when it comes to openGL and glsl? as i said, im very new to ubuntu :3
EDIT: not sure if this is helpful, but i have a Radeon HD 5700 graphics card
EDIT: it seems to me that the glsl doesnt work because i have a too old verison of opengl, so i tried to specify the version of opengl to 3.3 and got this error message:

X Error of failed request:  GLXBadFBConfig
  Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  34 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  34
  Current serial number in output stream:  33

does this mean the opengl version isnt supported? because i thought my graphics card was capable of running up to version 4.0 of opengl (might be wrong tho)

LAST EDIT: i fixed it :smiley:

i had to install the additional drivers and some stuff like that, i’m guessing i was still using windows drivers.
hopefully this post can help some poor soul in the future haha

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.