Intergrating DirectX and OpenGL

I have just started into Game developement, and have spent weeks learing DirectX. i can now load .bmp files and move them on the screen, also using DirectInput to read the mouse and move the objects along with it. i just got a 3D modoler, and just learned that in order to use it, i have to learn OpenGL. can i still use DirectX and some GDI with OpenGL, mixing the three of them?? i’m using VC++ 6.0 introductory edition

Your version of VC has nothing to do with that

And sorry, but you cannot mix OGL,D3D and/or GDI(+) functions…

Also never ever try doing it, you’ll only get problems when doing that.

However, you CAN use OGL together with all other DirectX components (except Direct3D).

btw. Remember that 3D programming is not API specific… OGL or D3D are only used to render triangles.
(okay, okay, with newer videocards you can do more things )

btw2. For learning OpenGL you should go to http://nehe.gamedev.net (there are some GREAT tutorials over there)

" i just got a 3D modoler, and just learned that in order to use it, i have to learn OpenGL"

This sounds strange? Do you mean in order to use the file output? Even then I don’t think that you could ever create a file that would only work with OpenGL. Maybe if it stored various states for blending or whatever but even that can easily be converted.

Tim