Interaction between OGL2 objects and auto. mipmap generation

I don’t have a specific suggestion for what I believe the behavior would be, but I was wondering how the SGIS_GENERATE_MIPMAP extension would interact with texture and image objects in GL2. I assume we whould just create a base-level image and then attach it to a texture while mipmap generation is enabled. But after that, would the remaining levels of the texture have “new” images attached to them? Could we then detach those images and attach them to other textures freely? If images were already attached to the “smaller” levels of the texture, would their data be overwritten upon a change in the base level, or would they be detached and new images attached?

I’d guess that the easiest solution would be to make automatic mipmap generation an attribute of the texture, and such textures would make only the level 0 image available to the application. The existence of the image data for other levels would only be implicit…

I suspect that this will be how things end up, but there might be some utility to a more flexible model…