Intel 945GM window handle issue

Hello,

I am running an HP Pavilion dv6000 laptop with Vista. It has the Intel 945GM chipset.

I believe this is an issue with the Intel drivers. If I open this site:
https://jogl-demos.dev.java.net/applettest.html
and drag the window around or drag the lower right corner around, the animation area disappears or jumps around. (It actually hijacks other window handles in the view area, possibly belonging to other applications!)

I believe the same will be true of other JOGL applications and applets, and OpenGL applications.

Intel tech support told me to post it here. I believe there is nothing that can be done outside of a new version of the drivers. (I’m running the newest version, 7.14.10.1504).

I’m not regular on this forum. I’m posting this for your information and amusement. But I would be interested to hear what other platforms exhibit this behavior. (XP? Other laptop brands? Native OpenGL applications?)

I believe it affects all systems using OpenGL in windowed mode (not full-screen) with the Intel 945GM chipset.

Regards,
Aaron S

Indeed, lol at intel tech support. Why did they send you here ? Instead of filing an internal bug ?
Intel graphic cards and drivers are done by a bunch of stupid loosers.

Seriously, absolutely no problem here with this jogl applet :
Windows2000, nvidia geforce 6800 with forceware 163.44, Firefox 3.0.4

ZbufferR: Intel graphic cards and drivers are done by a bunch of stupid loosers.

agree! :wink: have so many crashes and freezes with this crap. currently it crashes on wglMakeCurrent() and reboots.

No. Intel drivers are among the best in terms of both stability and feature support. The hardware works without problems while consuming a minimal amount of power.

I only have experience with using them under Linux though. From what I hear on forums like these the situation seems to be different on Windows.

Philipp

What feature support?
Even World of Warcraft / Sims2 / and the like crash like crazy on Windows (according to forums).

Well, even though it isn’t in the vanilla kernels from kernel.org yet, there has been support for OpenGL 2.1 for some time.

Philipp

I’m sorry. I MIGHT BE WRONG ABOUT THE WHOLE ISSUE. It may have nothing to do with the Intel drivers.

Intel opened a technical support case, and they worked with me on it. Their research suggests it may be the operating system.

It turns out that my test machine is the only one running Vista as a regular user (not an administrator). The applet works fine on all the XP machines I tested.

So I would need to run more tests…

I finally got access to another Vista machine. I tried it with a “standard user” account (not administrator).

Windows Vista Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit
NVidia GeForce 8500T

It works fine with scrolling, moving the window, and resizing!

So I should reopen the issue with Intel…

Aaron

“Their research suggests it may be the operating system”
the operating system they provide the drivers for. lame suggestion from Intel imho. they just keep surprising me.

No. Intel drivers are among the best in terms of both stability and feature support. The hardware works without problems while consuming a minimal amount of power.

I only have experience with using them under Linux though. From what I hear on forums like these the situation seems to be different on Windows.

Philipp[/QUOTE]

The Intel drivers for Linux are open sourced. I beleive that means that the open source community has fixed whatever bug is discovered.

On Windows, Intel’s own employees can only fix bugs but I really don’t know what is going on. I only know about AMD and nvidia where they release new drivers all the time that include fixes.

Just look at past release dates for Nvidia:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html

Nvidia releases new drivers almost every 1-2 months.

With, Intel, you can expect to get maybe 1-2 releases for all time!

Following Intel tech support, I created a new standard user account, and it worked!!!

Something must have been corrupted in my old user account.

Aaron