Installed ATIs video drivers but still no effect

Good day to all.
Some time ago i alredy get stucked with same problem on Mandrake distro but that time i get things to work.

I have 2.4.30 kernel, motherboard with nForce2 chipset, ATI9600 videocard
fglrx_6_8_0-8.14.13-1.i386.rpm drivers
i just unpacked them, compiled fglrx module and copied libGL.so.1.2 file also symliking to it.
Configured xorg.conf to use fglrx and it really uses it, here is what lsmod gives:
Module Size Used by Tainted: P

fglrx 208488 7

agpgart 45508 4

but fglrxinfo still says:
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.1)

where can be a problem? Last time (when i used Mandrake) i also had nvidia-agp module inserted but now i do not know where to get it from, do i need it at all?
I also installed NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0306-pkg1.run but there were only net and sound modules :frowning:

Please someone help me, i want to continue to program glsl :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I’d got same problems (solved just a week ago), but I’m running Gentoo.
I have 2.6.14-gentoo-r5 kernel, motherboard with nForce2 chipset, ATI9800 Pro 128mb videocard.
You need to have loaded the nvidia-agp module, that is the module that holds the AGPGart interface of the Nvidia Nforce2 chipset. To do this you need to have your kernel sources unpacked in “/usr/linux/src/x.x.xx” where x.x.xx is the kernel version. If you don’t have the precompiled module, you should recompile your kernel, but it’s a real mess. Search on google for precompiled kernel sources and how to install them. Once you’ve done it, try the following (from console):

modprobe nvidia-agp

and ensure it loads without errors, then:

depmod -a
(reboot the computer)
lsmod | grep agp

you should see something like

nvidia_agp 7580 1
agpgart 34312 2 fglrx,nvidia_agp

if that isn’t the case, follow this (do NOT try to run OpenGL-based apps, they will crash while corrupting the screen):

rmmod -f fglrx
rmmod -f agpgart
lsmod | grep agp

and ensure nothing is loaded (no output), then:

modprobe agpgart
modprobe nvidia-agp
modprobe fglrx
depmod -a
(reboot the computer)
lsmod | grep agp

if you see something like this:

nvidia_agp 7580 1
agpgart 34312 2 fglrx,nvidia_agp

then everything should be fine. To see if you’ve got direct rendering, try:

glxinfo | grep direct

you should see “direct rendering: Yes”. If you’ve got problems, don’t hesitate to post :smiley:

and ensure nothing is loaded (no output), then:

modprobe agpgart
modprobe nvidia-agp
modprobe fglrx
depmod -a
(reboot the computer)
lsmod | grep agp

NO!

1. NO reboot of the system is required in order to install a new driver, or to switch between 2 different drivers

2. all the modules you have just manually loaded with modprobe are not going to be reloaded after the reboot IF you did not add them to some script that is going to be executed after the reboot [for example /etc/rc.d/rc.modules on Slackware]

3. the only thing that is required is to (re-)start X

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.