Installation question

Hi,

I recently switched from the drivers Nvidia-1.0-2960 to 1.0-1541 because I heard that it would be more stable. However I’m not sure I completely installed the GLX correctly. Xwindows starts and I can run some graphics programs. But there is one program in particular that exits immediately after searching for the OpenGL libraries without rendering anything. I can’t find any error message, so I’m not sure what’s causing the problem. The XFree86.0.log file includes these lines at the end:

(II) [GLX]: Updating NV driver (scrn 0) with 1 contexts, 0 drawables
(II) [GLX]: Updating NV driver (scrn 0) with 1 contexts, 1 drawables
(II) [GLX]: Updating NV driver (scrn 0) with 0 contexts, 0 drawables

These lines aren’t in the log files when I use the program with the previous drivers, but I don’t know what they mean. Does anyone know what I’ve done wrong?

All problems with unstable drivers I have heard of was because of wrong installation or AGP but never the drivers themselves. I do not know of any reasons not to use the latest version. Do the glxinfo command gives an error message? If so is something wrong with your installation.
Run the program that refuses to start from the command prompt if you have not done so.

I am not familiar with glxinfo, and I can’t really decipher its manual page. I ran it from xwindows and it spit out a bunch of debug/warning messages from the program that isn’t working (even though that program wasn’t being run). Is this what it’s supposed to do?

If you get error messages is it because something is wrong with your installation. It should show information about the current OpenGL implementation. The best forum for installation questions is probably the nvnews linux forum. You will find a link from nvidia on the same that page that has the driver.

The drivers and GLX must be from the exact same version. Are you mixing the new GLX with the old kernel driver?

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.