#include in glsl

It would be great to have the #include preprocessor keyword in glsl. I know that this requires a few changes in the API but it would be great to have it as an option. I believe that nVidia’s cg has it, I dont know about HLSL.

What do you think?

HLSL has it; For some reason this has never been added to GLSL, I personnally had hoped for at least some sugar in GL3.2 but I dont think you will get #includes in GL any time soon.

I have never really heard a good argument for not providing at least some of the syntetic sugar that both NVIDIA Cg and Microsoft HLSL provides. Perhaps some of the ARB members/contributors could shine some light?

Remote rendering? Too advanced for DX. GL has had it forever. There, the machine the shaders are compiled/used on isn’t the machine the shaders are loaded from.

Whether the GLX protocol was ever flushed out to make this happen though, I’m not sure.

You’d think these could be handled on the way in before it hits the server, but consider conditional #includes which depend on state only known in the server’s GLSL. Ugly.

That’s just my off-the-cuff thought. No doubt there are other reasons for/against.

Includes is easy job to handle in application. So… parse your shader code (before you pass string to compiler) and unroll includes as you wish. Driver should not deal with that.

#pragma escapes macro expansion and the compiler will ignore unrecognized tokens, so it might make for a semi-standard meta-data scaffolding for artist-tool communication, rather than burying and searching for messages in comments or such like.

#pragma include(“whatsits.h”)
uniform sampler2DArray Material;
#pragma attribute(Material, “TMU=0; Filter=LinearMipmapLinear”)

1 Like

Yeah, this is trivial with boost. The added benefit is that you easily can add support for a virtual file system…

std::string Shader::PreprocessIncludes( const std::string& source, const boost::filesystem::path& filename, int level /*= 0 */ )
{
	PrintIndent();
	if(level > 32)
		LogAndThrow(ShaderException,"header inclusion depth limit reached, might be caused by cyclic header inclusion");
	using namespace std;

static const boost::regex re("^[ ]*#[ ]*include[ ]+[\"<](.*)[\">].*");
	stringstream input;
	stringstream output;
	input << source;

size_t line_number = 1;
	boost::smatch matches;

string line;
	while(std::getline(input,line))
	{
		if (boost::regex_search(line, matches, re))
		{
			std::string include_file = matches[1];
			std::string include_string;

try
			{
				include_string = Core::FileIO::LoadTextFile(include_file);
			} 
			catch (Core::FileIO::FileNotFoundException& e)
			{
				stringstream str;
				str <<  filename.file_string() <<"(" << line_number << ") : fatal error: cannot open include file " << e.File();
				LogAndThrow(ShaderException,str.str())
			}
			output << PreprocessIncludes(include_string, include_file, level + 1) << endl;
		}
		else
		{
			output << "#line "<< line_number << " \"" << filename << "\""  << endl;
			output <<  line << endl;
		}
		++line_number;
	}
	PrintUnindent();
	return output.str();
}

Because of the lack of include in GLSL as well as the capability to have all the shaders code in the same file I’ve created a parser that supports this features and a few more unimportant at the moment.

The parser works with preprocessor pragmas and the syntax is similar to c++ OpenMP. The useful pragmas are 3:
#pragma anki include “path/filename.glsl”
#pragma anki vert_shader_begins
#pragma anki frag_shader_begins

For example you can write the following (dummy) shader program test.glsl:

// common code
#pragma anki vert_shader_begins
#pragma anki include "test1.glsl"
// vert shader code
#pragma anki frag_shader_begins
// frag shader code

You can feed this to the parser:

shader_parser_t parser;	
parser.ParseFile( "test.glsl" );

…and then extract the 2 shaders code using the vert_shader_source and frag_shader_source:

cout << parser.vert_shader_source << endl;

The above will write:

// common code
#line 2 0 // #pragma anki vert_shader_begins
#line 0 1 // #pragma anki include "test1.glsl"
// Im test1.glsl
// LALAAAAAAA
#line 3 0 // end of #pragma anki include "test1.glsl"
// vert shader code

As you can see it keeps track of the lines so that the driver’s compiler can print the correct lines in the error messages and warnings.

Here is the source ancient-ritual.com/programming/shader_parser.tar.gz. If someone is interested I will clean the code, make it completely abstract and properly release it.

PS: I have to mention that the code is not clean because it caries unused code. Code that I use in other libraries of my engine

PS2: It is tested in GCC

I find it difficult to believe that anyone inclined to write OpenGL shader code would be incapable of writing similar functionality in less than 10 minutes. Only use third party code if it’s going to save you significant development time - because if it isn’t, then writing it yourself will.

1 Like

Just a few thoughts on #include in GLSL, the easy part is adding a simple pre-processor to handle #include, then feature creep comes: support #ifdef/#endif guards, then that feature creeps more to having to parse #if/#ifdef/#elif/#ifndef lines… then you start twiggling your head some in that people can make really complicated macro systems too… then you realize to do it the right way, you end up writing a full blown pre-processor… ick…

In truth it would be a good place for GLU to handle it, along with the idea that you pass to GLU some function pointers for opening files so that you can have your own virtual file system.

Too bad GLU is most likely dead and we will never see it improved (matrix ops, proper GLSL pre-processor, update to GL3 core profiles for GLU tesselators and NURBS). Sighs.

then feature creep comes

But, since you are implementing this yourself, you can choose not to succumb to feature creep.

Too bad GLU is most likely dead and we will never see it improved

I suppose. But I don’t really understand how it could have been updated. It is essentially just a library that makes OpenGL calls. Who would be responsible for distributing it?

Actually this is not an issue. You can implement a custom preprocessor that parses only the #include and then feed the output to the glShaderSource. You dont have to parse the #if/#ifdef/#elif/#ifndef etc, these will be handled by the driver compiler.

PS: If I understood what do you mean

1 Like

Actually this is not an issue. You can implement a custom preprocessor that parses only the #include and then feed the output to the glShaderSource. You dont have to parse the #if/#ifdef/#elif/#ifndef etc, these will be handled by the driver compiler.

Well no, because #ifdef/#endif guards are used to make sure a file is not included twice, and for that matter for poorly done #include’s to stop a file indirectly including itself.

Worse, you may want to have some extra sugar on whatever thingy you use to handle GLSL source, for example use the same source file but add #define’s before the source which in turn may or may not affect what files are included, and the story gets worse as included files might add their own defines that in turn affect other files.

So all in all, the simple #include and then trying to use it like you would in C suddenly blows up in front of one’s face.

As far as the #ifdef/#define/#endif in included files (like the C/C++ .h files) and circular including:

Imagine this lala.glsl file:

#ifndef _LALA_GLSL_
#define _LALA_GLSL_

void Lala()
{
}

#endif

And now the main.glsl file:

#include "lala.glsl"

void Foo()
{
}

#include "lala.glsl"

The main.glsl will unroll into this:

#ifndef _LALA_GLSL_
#define _LALA_GLSL_

void Lala()
{
}

#endif

void Foo()
{
}

#ifndef _LALA_GLSL_
#define _LALA_GLSL_

void Lala()
{
}

#endif

In the above example the function Lala wont be defined twice. Im not suggesting that Im right and you are wrong. There may be some scenarios Im not aware of. Please post a more detailed example.

1 Like

The problem is with 2 headers that include each-other.
The other problem is rare: with headers, where preprocessor #ifXXX/#endif directives are not balanced inside the file.

Well no, because #ifdef/#endif guards are used to make sure a file is not included twice

You’re implementing #include yourself. I’m pretty sure that gives you the license to make it work as you see fit. And if that means you automatically ignore any includes you’ve seen before, then they are ignored.

So all in all, the simple #include and then trying to use it like you would in C suddenly blows up in front of one’s face.

Again, only if you choose for it to.

These are shaders. They’re not that big. These are not programs that you need #include trickery to make work.

Well we gather in your world they are “not that big”, and maybe there are only 5 of them, and they were all hand-coded for the specific object they appear on.

But in larger, more general applications, they can get to be fairly large and you can end up with a fairly large number of them, whose permutations are defined by your users, not you. Hand-code them all? Don’t think so. Time to market too great, and that’s a waste of a perfectly good developer.

We are also dealing with this #include issue. But rather then implement our own preprocessor to compete with the GLSL preprocessor, we selectively concat various shader sections together based on shader environment settings, and we tightly constrain the concat order and number of permutations to a very small number. However, this only works because we don’t export this behavior to our users.

GLSL Suggestion: Most of the reason for this concating / #include shader business in our world is the lack of being able to set shader constant identifier values via the GLSL API. In Cg, these are called literal parameters (CG_LITERAL). These constant identifiers define the “shader permutation” you want (feature A = yes, feature B = no, feature C = permutation 12, etc.). Yes, this is the ubershader approach. In your shader you just use these constant identifiers in “if” expressions in your shaders, and then when it’s compiled, the constant values of these parameters are compiled/folded into your shader and the compiler can rip out ifs, function calls, and large chunks of “dead code” automatically to build the shader permutation you want from general shader logic.

Without constant variables settable via the GLSL API, you end up having to sprintf your const variables into a hunk of GLSL shader code and concat (or #include) that with the rest of the shader code, which is a needless hastle.

These are shaders. They’re not that big. These are not programs that you need #include trickery to make work.

Let me contradict you. When you got lots of them and want to share code between them, its hard and clumsy to do that at present.
Also, I’m against “then write your own preprocessor”. First I do not want to write a full blown GLSL-capable preprocessor. Second, even if I did that it still must be able to interact with the GLSL-builtin preprocessor (I’d have to chose a different syntax like $include, $if $define etc. so it won’t mess up GLSL-internal #ifdef’s). Third, it would still lack of the ability to “inject” symbols into the GLSL preprocessor by code (I’m doing that with string concatenation now, as DarkPhoton described).

But in larger, more general applications, they can get to be fairly large and you can end up with a fairly large number of them, whose permutations are defined by your users, not you. Hand-code them all? Don’t think so. Time to market too great, and that’s a waste of a perfectly good developer.

When I was talking about “#include trickery”, I meant having #includes that need to interact with preprocessor defines and such. That is, things like:

#ifdef SOME_DEFINE
#include "oneFile.h"
#else
#include "anotherFile.h"
#end

This is the kind of thing you need a full preprocessor for. If all you have is a list of #includes at the top of your shader, you don’t need anything more than a simple #include mechanism.

Remember: #include doesn’t mean “compile this file into a translation unit with mine.” It means “include everything in this file at this location.” The former is what you actually need; the latter is not.

Just imagine you want to do something like:

#if __VERSION__ >= 130
#    include "FancyUBOHeaderStuff.glsl"
#    define TEXTUREGRAD_AVAILABLE 1
#else
#    include "GLSL120HeaderStuff.glsl"
#    ifdef GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod 
#       extension GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod : enable 
#	define textureGrad texture2DGradARB 
#	define TEXTUREGRAD_AVAILABLE 1
#    elif defined(GL_EXT_gpu_shader4)
#	extension GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 : enable 
#	define textureGrad texture2DGrad 
#	define TEXTUREGRAD_AVAILABLE 1
#    else 
#	define TEXTUREGRAD_AVAILABLE 0
#    endif
#endif

#if TEXTUREGRAD_AVAILABLE
#    include "WithGradients.glsl"
#else
#    include "WithoutGradients.glsl"
#endif

If the “#extension” is governed by #ifXXX/#endif blocks, then there’s no problem in just replacing “#include” lines. You just have to avoid those 2 simple cases I mentioned.

But anyway, making a full-featured preprocessor is not really hard.
Here’s mine: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1969613/openglForum/CPP_Parse01.7z
There’s also a possibly easier-to-Plug’n’Play one from the srccode of the 3dfx shader-verifier (google it). Among all other existing opensource ones. (just that mine is with public-domain license, provided-as-is).