I will pay for help!!

Hi

I know this sounds bad but , I really want to
start making games . My problem is I work 12
hours a day and I do not get much time to read alot. I spent two years of every free time I had learning C++, plus along the way
I messed around with java. I Bought a book
Opengl game programming and have read most of it and I can draw cubes and other stuff.
Also my problem with the book is that it is
for win32 and I am currently using MFC because I really dont like spending my free time writing a lot of code on just making a window etc. but I know how. What i am looking for is for some one to help guide me through the process using VC++ and mfc. The
game I am wanting to make is just a 2d dirt bike game ( side scroller) with some jumps
and , also I will just use a paint program to draw the bike and the guy and maybe the
jumps. The game could just be stick figures
for all I care. The purpose is to get a good start . It has to be C++ no C and Classes not
structs , the reason is (OOP). I want a one to one base , I would just email you with questions . the pay would be $50.00 a month
and you can stop any time you want! So if you have free time and want to help me please reply.

Thanks

just answering questions, right? my email is davepermen[at]hotmail[dot]com, so you can ask me what ever you want… its 100$ per question, hehe i don’t care about that money, but oh well, if you want to pay i don’t say no

my first help for you is for free: use sdl. no fancy win32 or mfc stuff to hack around, just about 3 or 4 lines of code and opengl is running in a window…

Flyer,

If you have questions regarding C++, MFC and OpenGL, e-mail me (my e-mail is in my profile). I am not the most competent on this board but I’ll try to help.

Needless to say this is free…

Regards.

Eric

My email should be on the profile so when dave and eric run out of ideas , mail me.

/Niko

You don’t need MFC, that’s mainly for document oriented apps and windows GUIs. You need win32 (basic stuff for what you want) and OpenGL.

Or you could just use Glut with Steve Bakers tweaks and write your game in that, Basically all you need to know then is how to use OpenGL & C (or C++). (ignoring the audio for now which is also quite simple).

You are closer than you think.

I’d love to help you with a dirtbike game : I’m a gameaholic! So, are you in the direction of making it like the old NES classic Excitebike, or what? You can reach me at the email in my profile. I have two years worth of experience in C++ programming. I know classes, templates, and all that. And I have about a years worth in OGL programming. Thanx!

I didnt think I would get this many replies but, thats cool! First let me clear up some things that I think wasnt clear , I use MFC
and have some dailog app and SDI. Once you know how to use it , it`s not such a pain in the ass , the wizard does most of the work
and you have window , but thats not my main concern . I want help with the game mainly and (yoale) hit it right on the nose. Excite bike like game. You dont know what this would mean to if I could make it with alittle
help. (I love that game) . I have already contacted Daveperman and I will see if he is willing to help, but if anything changes I will contact one of you. I Dont care to pay the money because if it gets me writing games faster than its worth it to me.

thanks flyer

Good luck, flyer. You sound like you’ve got the necessary enthusiasm to complete a small game project on your own. Just remember, gameplay is far more important than graphics.
Sensible Soccer is the best game ever written, although some regard its graphics as a bad point, I regard them as a triumph, as their small size allowed for a wider field of view, which in turn helped gameplay tremendously.

>>and I am currently using MFC because I really dont like spending my free time writing a lot of code on just making a window etc<<

look into www.libsdl.org this will handle all those issues (even simpler to use than mfc)
anyways check the sdl site out heaps of games that were written using it from pong all the way up to unreal tournement

Well MFC helps you throw together a GUI, but really games don’t need that. At most for a simple game you need a simple menu driven thing, but you really should throw away MFC, and get a routine and loop that does simple event handling. MFC is way too much baggage for a game and it isn’t needed. The wizard helps you handle document style events but there are dozens of simple event handling loops out there on the web you can just download that will get the job done simpler. Or use Glut, you have a few lines of code that do it all and then you are portable (linux, Apple etc), you also have simple full screen support. Look for Steve Baker’s PLIB stuff.

wow to get someone to respond to your thread, is to show some $$$ and look at them go …

Originally posted by jubei_GL:
wow to get someone to respond to your thread, is to show some $$$ and look at them go …

(OT) It’s not really a matter of cash for the sake of winning money. Curiosity is upon all thread successes, before all (/OT)

Originally posted by jubei_GL:

Either that or sex !

Eric

Originally posted by knackered:
Sensible Soccer is the best game ever written, although some regard its graphics as a bad point, I regard them as a triumph, as their small size allowed for a wider field of view, which in turn helped gameplay tremendously.

That’s a great game. Was that ever ported to the PC ? I haven’t played that in years ( about 10 years I would think ).

Edit: After a bit of searching, I see you were probably talking about the 3D version from '98.

[This message has been edited by PH (edited 09-16-2002).]

No, you’re were right the first time, PH - I was talking about the 2D version from years ago - the 3D version was a bit on the crap side…took the essence of the game away just to make better screenshots for the cover: terrible shame.
Tears come to my eyes remembering long post-pub sensi sessions with my mates… Great days…

I know what you mean . Once in a while I still play some very old games ( 1984+ ). Back then all the great games were made in the UK ( especially by Graftgold ). Not to mention all those great arcade machines that slowly disappeared ( Commando, G’n’G, Paperboy, the list goes on ). Good thing the arcade conversions were well done.

now see what happens when I take a vacation from here? everyone makes money.

Gameplay is important, following market trends is a large part of that, as well as NOT following the trends. There’s no rule book on innovation, though it is highly desireable in the ‘right’ way, only no one defined ‘right’. That’s okay, others can make the money, I’m doing the job 'cause it is fun. But the money does help.

Rez was the last game to excite me - although the gameplay was not groundbreaking, the whole experience was thrilling.
If there’s anyone who hasn’t played it, you have missed something special.

flyer,

you might take a look at
http://www.mfcogl.com/

It will get you started with MFC and OpenGL and its free.