I want normal maps, but I also want material colors

as stated before use GL_CONSTANT_ARB as source in the combiner for your lightcolor/intensity stuff

I see. Let me play with this parameter and see what I can come up with.

Seems to work well so far.

Here’s the combiner extension modes:

COMBINE_RGB_ARB Texture Function

REPLACE Arg0
MODULATE Arg0 * Arg1
ADD Arg0 + Arg1
ADD_SIGNED_ARB Arg0 + Arg1 - 0.5
INTERPOLATE_ARB Arg0 * (Arg2) + Arg1 * (1-Arg2)
SUBTRACT_ARB Arg0 - Arg1

Is there by chance an extension that will do something like this? It would be quite useful:

Arg0 * Arg1 * Arg2

Then I could do this:

Operand0 = GL_PREVIOUS
Operand1 = GL_TEXTURE
Operand2 = GL_CONSTANT

This would color a texture and modulate it with the previous color.

nope, the only other combiners that exist are NV_…combine4: a0a1 + a2a3
and ATI_…combine3: a0*a2 + a1

can you say a bit more about where the numbers come from?
As far as I can remember, these numbers come from an automated survey built into steam. When first installing a steam game (e.g. HL2), you were asked if you’d like to participate in the survey.

Originally posted by RigidBody:
and by the way, knackered, since you posted that link: can you say a bit more about where the numbers come from? i can hardly believe that amd to intel is ~51 to ~48 percent.
This is the gaming market, which is quite different from the total market. In the gaming market AMD has always been a strong player, often having higher market share than Intel.

Originally posted by knackered:
survey data, which is now almost a year old.
They conduct the survey on a continual basis, perhaps every 3 months and since all you have to do is tell them your internet speed and everything else is automatically extracted, most people participate.

“i can hardly believe that amd to intel is ~51 to ~48 percent.”

Yup, specially since benchmarks show AMD to be superior. The next Intel P4 duo is making a come back.

Thanks for the GL_CONSTANT_ARB tip. Getting bumpmaps to work with colors is a pretty common complaint I hear. Hopefully this will be useful for others.

Yes, other forward thinking people like you, halo.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=179101582

according to these stats intel and ati had more overall market share in desktop graphics, however in the hl2 survey intel plays virtually no role. So it purely depends on what sort of clients one makes his app for. Even in the hl2 survey it was “just” 50-60% with shader model 2.0 cards, and those stats come from “gamers”. So still using some old extensions is not that wrong imo. Surely the new intel chips also do arb fragment program, but still providing some codepath for older hardware imo is not fundamentally wrong.

on the other hand its of course making your own life harder using this stuff :wink:

“Desktop market” doesn’t just mean home users.
How many people in a call center are going to run some fancy looking FPS with bumpmaps and “cool” shadows?

In my entourage, I have met very very very few people who are into gaming. Everyone else thinks a graphics card is a VGA device. It converts a digital image into a analog output at a 60Hz refresh rate. They don’t understand why these new GPUs need so much electricty and a fan, or why the company puts 256MB of VRAM.

Originally posted by V-man:
In my entourage, I have met very very very few people who are into gaming. Everyone else thinks a graphics card is a VGA device. It converts a digital image into a analog output at a 60Hz refresh rate. They don’t understand why these new GPUs need so much electricty and a fan, or why the company puts 256MB of VRAM.
i recommend that you go out and find yourself some new friends :stuck_out_tongue:

CrazyButcher has a point. It really depends on the market you’re after. There is certainly nothing fundamentally wrong with targeting the largest possible audience, as long as you can truly appeal to that audience, and within a reasonable time frame :slight_smile: