I know, you've probably heard it before - could not load OpenGL subsystem

that DVA=0 line aint in my win.ini file HELP!? please

I thought, I am the only one with this problem,but oviously… i tried to play Mohaa ,but OpenGl says “can’t open a subsystem”.I have windows XP pro on my pc,but I didn’t find that line “DVA” in my win.ini too.So if there is anybody out there,who knows the solution,Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease help!

I use Win XP, and GeForce 2 with glases.
I see this **** everytime that im trying to play quake III in stereo mode. So if u had mada some chabges in our cfg file…that is the problem (maybe . Open your Quake III arena folder? then enter to Baseq3 or something like that, an then open file baseq3.cfg with notepad. Try to find this “r_stereo” it would look like r_stereo “1” change 1 to 0…save changes, if still doesnt work then forget about it
good luck

Wow a lot of ppl are having this problem. I have 2 comps, one with a kind of old trident display port on it and one with an ATI vid card on it. They’re both on xp pro and I can’ find the DVA line in my win.ini file. Also at the glsetup.com I found where you’re supposed to download the files but the files aren’t there, only the links.

SOME ONE NEEDS THERE ASS KICKED
we are all in the same boat it seem that it happens to most os cards and games from the old to the new so where are the brains that can fix this come on gl we need a cure if it was for 1 game then fine but its not its meny games with meny cards and os but the problem is the same for them all.
ps i have tryed 3 days and nights of drivers, wini configs ,open gl fixes
i run xp voodoo3000 256 ram amd900 not the best by far but surely enough to play a game(medal of honor}

I have win2k, so the DVA=0 didn’t work for me, but overwriting my ogl files in system32 with the files found here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/info/1/W95/EN-US/Opengl95.exe fixed the problem for me.

thanks for your reply but no joy i just get this
— Common Initialization —
Medal of Honor Allied Assault 1.11 win-x86 Mar 5 2002
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
D:\New Folder/main
D:\New Folder\main\Pak5.pk3 (259 files)
D:\New Folder\main\Pak4.pk3 (593 files)
D:\New Folder\main\Pak3.pk3 (669 files)
D:\New Folder\main\Pak2.pk3 (4722 files)
D:\New Folder\main\Pak1.pk3 (772 files)
D:\New Folder\main\Pak0.pk3 (11175 files)

18190 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
execing menu.cfg
execing newconfig.cfg
Config: unnamedsoldier.cfg
couldn’t exec configs/unnamedsoldier.cfg
execing safemode.cfg
couldn’t exec localized.cfg
execing autoexec.cfg
Unknown command “fov”
couldn’t exec custom.cfg
…detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!

------- Input Initialization -------
Initializing DirectInput…
Couldn’t set DI coop level
Falling back to Win32 mouse support…
------- Input Initialization Complete ------- 88
You are now setup for easy mode.
----- Client Initialization -----
Called FadeSound with: 0.000000
----- Initializing Renderer ----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
…initializing QGL
…calling LoadLibrary( ‘C:\WINDOWS\System32\opengl32.dll’ ): failed
…shutting down QGL
…assuming ‘3dfxvgl’ is a standalone driver
…initializing QGL
…calling LoadLibrary( ‘C:\WINDOWS\System32\3dfxvgl.dll’ ): failed
…shutting down QGL
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

i am going to have a look for the drivers that are in there if not in my pc then i will look on the net if i find a cure i will post it

UHHH!!! What the ****? It is so so much annoying, everybody got the same problem but there is no answer to fiz the problem. This is NO FAIR! I got the same problem, here how it starts;

months b4 I downloaded a game(cant remember the name, maybe SoF??) there was saying OpenGL is needed, and I downloaded the file from the net, it takes so much time but it was worth cuz the game worked, I formatted my PC and now I wanna play Medal of Honar AA, I downloaded it and when I wanted to start there came a long console and at the last says:
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem
I tried to download the files from glsetup.com but there’s only links, no files, I tried to find those from the net, I found sth like these: http://www.glsetup.com/cgi-shl/mirror.cgi ==> when u go automoticly the download will start, but this is a 88 MB file, it takes so much time, I couldnt download yet, and I dont think I will be able to…
also: http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/info/1/W95/EN-US/Opengl95.exe
this couldnt work I ran the exe file there came dll files and I overwrite the files to system dir but it couldn work, I dont know maybe this could work for you.
I opened win.ini and I couldn find any DVA=0 line out there, should I write a line myself?
please please someone out there write the answer, isnt there anybody from opengl.org reading these messages, everybody having the same damn problem, but there is NO fix, they may put the glsetup.exe to the glsetup.com site, but there are NO files there are ONLY links, I wanted to write it again, please answer!! please! HELP!!!

Originally posted by PDBJesusFreak:
[b]I have the some thing on Star wars Jedi Knight 2

PLEASE HELP…

Email me if you find out…

[This message has been edited by PDBJesusFreak (edited 06-18-2002).][/b]

i have sent open gl an e/mail to see what the come up with i have asked them to have a look at this forum i will post the reply if i get one

ignore my post, that actually didn’t work :[

Originally posted by FP:
ignore my post, that actually didn’t work :[

On the subject I have discovered two POSSIBLE fixes for XP/W2K users

This comes from a Q3 game forum where people were getting the Opengl Subsystem error

Solution for those workin with Win XP:
Go into the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE directory and delete OPENGL32.DLL
Go into the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory and rename OPENGL32.DLL to OPENGL32.OLD
Windows will pop up a dialog saying a protected system file has been modified and to insert your WinXP cdrom. Click Cancel and then Yes.
Copy the file WINDOWS\APPPATCH\ACXTRNAL.DLL into your WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory and rename it OPENGL32.DLL
Finally reboot your machine.

This works with XP for sure. There shoudh be a similar method for win2k boxes, but am not sure.

And this fix

A guy in the opengl.org forums who ran W2K says he fixed his issue by downloading this file, then renaming the glu32.dll and opengl32.dll in his windows, system32 directory and extracting ONLY those two files using winzip from the exe into the system32 directory.

There may be more steps invovled, as in my experience, windows won’t just let you overwrite system dll’s, but maybe if you have not run any opengl apps yes…

I suggest a reboot after doing it. What is there, is a opengl 1.1 update for windows 95 users, and its older and smaller than the files I have on my system. My glu32 (114K) claims to be a 5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)
and my opengl32.dll (669K)originally claims to be 5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148) [under file version, not product version]

Anyway, someone willing to test this that has the OPENGL 1.1.0 issue under W2K, write back and let people know if it helped, made things worse, or whatever…

I am not sure what the deal is exactly but in all cases it seems neverWinter nights is misreporting the opengl version as 1.1.0 [even the DVA=0 issue under win 9x] and that is why the subsystem fails to load. In NWN you just fail to meet the requirements which are for oprngl 1.2+ but… It seems what happens is the hardware vendors oepngl icd cannot be loaded and your stuck with just ms’s opengl32.dll which is not complete for a hardware vieo card.

One can only assume w2k/XP uses dllcache for libs, and that the vendor ICD is copied there before you got the up to date drivers, and was not replaced/refreshed correctly with the new dll ? Not sure exactly but if it works, cheers anyway… Note you may need to set explorer to stop hiding system files to see the directory, it is apparently compressed though…

Originally posted by wallsie:
[b]thanks for your reply but no joy i just get this
— Common Initialization —
Medal of Honor Allied Assault 1.11 win-x86 Mar 5 2002
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
D:\New Folder/main
D:\New Folder\main\Pak5.pk3 (259 files)
D:\New Folder\main\Pak4.pk3 (593 files)
D:\New Folder\main\Pak3.pk3 (669 files)
D:\New Folder\main\Pak2.pk3 (4722 files)
D:\New Folder\main\Pak1.pk3 (772 files)
D:\New Folder\main\Pak0.pk3 (11175 files)

[/b]

i have the same problem and i tried the thing WhiteChedda suggested, but i dont have a DLLCACHE and i cant rename the ACXTRNL.dll file because whenever i delete opengl32.dll and try to rename the ACXTRNL.ddl opengl.dll magically appears at the bottom and so i cant rename ACXTRNL.dll

It’s pissing the hell out of me, i have 2 comps running XP and on one comp the games work fine, but on the other i keep getting that same bloody error. URG!!! #%&#^$&#@%^@&%@&%#$&#^#^%^$^

All i wanna do is play my games… , so will some person from Opengl actually present us with the bloody solution!!!

I did find some answers on the Activision website. I hope these will help. I’m going to try these this evening. Greetz, Datamind

Question
I receive the error: Could not load OpenGL subsystem.

Answer
Check to make sure you have a supported 3D video card to play the game. Return to Castle Wolfenstein requires that you have one of the supported 3D cards to play the game. Your card must have 100% OpenGL support and at least 16 MB of memory. A list of the supported chipset is listed in the minimum system requirements.

Make sure you have the latest video and sound card drivers from the manufacturers’ websites.

If you have a motherboard with an onboard video card you need to disable it in the system BIOS. Refer to your motherboard manual and/or contact your motherboard manufacturer on how to do this.

If you are using a video card which supports dual monitors, the secondary monitor must be disabled for OpenGL to initialize correctly.

Make sure the 3D hardware acceleration is turned all the way up.

1. Right-click on the My Computer icon on the desktop and select Properties.
  2. Select the Performance tab and click the Graphics button.
  3. Make sure the acceleration slider is set to Full.

For Windows XP:

1. Click on the Start button > Settings > Control Panel.
  2. Double-click the Display icon.
  3. Click the Settings tab.
  4. Click the Advanced button.
  5. Click the Troubleshoot tab.
  6. Make sure the acceleration slider is set to Full.

Set your desktop settings to 640 by 480 and High Color (16 bit).

All background applications must be shutdown prior to running the game.

If after trying the above solutions the game still does not work, check the following:

1. Click on the Start button > Run and in the run box type “Sysedit” without the quotes and click the OK button.
  2. When Sysedit comes up you should see a bunch of cascaded windows, select the window that says Win.ini above it.
  3. The Win.ini window should come to the foreground, scroll through the list of items until you come to [DrawDib].
  4. Look for a line under [DrawDib] that says DVA=0 and remove it.
  5. Click File, then Save and close the Sysedit program.
  6. Try the game at this point.

If you do not see the DVA=0 line under the [DrawDib] section, then this is not the cause of your problem. DVA stands for Direct Video Access, and is commonly set to 0 to fix issues with older games or video problems with old software. Unfortunately it causes Return to Castle Wolfenstein to not recognize OpenGL support on your system as well. The only way to fix this is to remove that line. This should not affect anything on your system.

Set your virtual memory to a fixed size.

1. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
  2. Click the Advanced button, click on Performance settings.
  3. Click the Advanced tab, click the Change button.
  4. Set the Virtual Memory to a minimum and maximum size of 600MB.
  5. Confirm your selections until at the desktop - you may need to reboot.

NOTE: These steps are specific to Windows XP, Windows NT and 2000 may differ slightly.

This will occur when insufficient Virtual Memory is available for the game. For the best performance and stability under Windows NT, 2000 and XP you should aim for having at least 600MB of virtual memory available.

Turn off GL Extensions in the game by changing the configuration file.

1. Click the Start button > Programs > Accessories > Wordpad.
  2. Open the wolfconfig.cfg file which is located in the Return to Castle Wolfenstein\Main directory on your machine.
  3. Locate the line reading:

seta r_allowExtensions “1”

1. Change the 1 to a 0.
  2. Click File > Save.

If you are not using a 3Dfx video card, disable the WickedGL support in the game.

1. Click the Start button > Programs > Accessories > Wordpad.
  2. Open the WOLFCONFIG.CFG file located in the C:…\Return to Castle Wolfenstein\Main directory.
  3. Located a line reading:

seta r_glIgnoreWicked3D “0”

1. Change the “0” to a “1”.
  2. Save the file.

It is possible the game is having issues generating the configuration file on it’s first run. Try downloading and installing the wolfconfig.cfg file listed below to the game’s \MAIN directory.

If you are using a 3Dfx video card try copying the custom 3dfx OpenGL files into the System directory.

1. Use My Computer to navigate to the Return to Castle Wolfenstein drive on your hard drive.
  2. Double-click the GL folder
  3. Click Edit then Select All.
  4. Click Edit then Copy.
  5. Again using My Computer, go to the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM* folder.
  6. Click Edit, then paste. Do not overwrite any existing files.
  • This directory name will change depending on what version of Windows you have.

Windows 95,98,ME: - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Windows 2000, NT: - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32

Windows XP Users:
Please note that the default drivers that come with Windows XP are NOT OpenGL compatible. You will need to go to the video card or video chip manufacturer and obtain the latest Windows XP compatible drivers with OpenGL support. This is especially true for ATi and nVidia based video cards.

The link too the Activision website:

https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/activision.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

If any of you guys are using an old ATI graphics card and are running XP, loose ATI they dont support XP and opengl, all i had to do was get a new graphics card. ATI is bad at supporting older products. nVidia has been proven to work with XP and opengl, i got a GeForce and it works fine now.Just thought i would let you know.

you got to go to video card maker for driver and to see if supports opengl
i got xp with gforce2 gts with uptodate
driver all games work great but had to update drivers first from nvidia alls
great now so check your video card manfacter
for driver (but make your card suport OPENGL
if not time for new card

i have recevied a reply from opengl they just told me that there are no longer any drivers for the voodoo cards i was told that if the drivers that were given to me by opengl did not work then get the wallet out and get a new card. well the did not work but i can now use my tv out so not all was lost but i realy wanted to play mohor what do i do now mmmmm
ps heres the link i was given good luck http://www.voodoofiles.com/4979

i got the same ****ty problem…but what is Glide? , it sats Glide is missing to ,and must i have a nvidi/ATI/voodo card? , or can i use the card that was in the pc when i bought it?