I can't run Opengl programs in win2k, why?

I can make opengl programs in win2k, but it can not run (nothing displayed). I’m sure there exists needed DLLs in the windows system dir. The programs can run in win98.

I can’t run Opengl programs in win2k, why?

Because win2k in crap like all MS software.

Alternitively make sure you have the latest drivers for your gfx card and that they sup[port win2k. I know when it first came out everyone complained that none of their games (include Q3) would work becuase of a lack of driver support( becuase all drivers had to be certified by MS I think).

[This message has been edited by Tim Stirling (edited 03-16-2001).]

Originally posted by Tim Stirling:

I know when it first came out everyone complained that none of their games (include Q3) would work becuase of a lack of driver support( becuase all drivers had to be certified by MS I think).

Interesting… when the Q3 Test first came out I had a Voodoo Banshee and the only way I COULD seem to get it to run was under the Release Candidate of Win2k I was testing. It would crap out under Win98 all the time for me.

Try to handle pfd more accurately.
My program didn’t work under w2k when i passed 0 as HDC to ChoosePixelFormat. However, it was even accelerated on NT and 98.

Yes, the program always terminates at calling ChoosePixelFormat(). Even I pass a true HDC to ChoosePixelFormat.

How to solve this problem?

[This message has been edited by newname (edited 03-18-2001).]

I use W2K Professional and write my crap in Visual Basic. VB major reason it turns out to be crap. Nevertheless, OpenGL works almost fine. Sometimes (slight understatement) the box freezes when I choose “Run” and I’m forced to reset. I’m contributing this to my ABIT KT7A-RAID motherboard, and am getting a new one tomorrow. Hating VB like I do, I’d not even consider using VC++, so can’t comment on it. I have, however, compiled and run OpenGL files successfully under Delphi 5. Anyway, that’s my life’s story.

I find that the program can work when I adjust the display to low resolution (both colors and screen size). The display card in my PC is Matrox Mellennium G400 DualHead Max AGP, with 32M memory.

Originally posted by Sebaot:
I use W2K Professional and write my crap in Visual Basic. VB major reason it turns out to be crap. Nevertheless, OpenGL works almost fine. Sometimes (slight understatement) the box freezes when I choose “Run” and I’m forced to reset. I’m contributing this to my ABIT KT7A-RAID motherboard, and am getting a new one tomorrow. Hating VB like I do, I’d not even consider using VC++, so can’t comment on it. I have, however, compiled and run OpenGL files successfully under Delphi 5. Anyway, that’s my life’s story.

Don’t compare VB and VC++ that way! It’s heresy! I work with both and VB is god-awful, but I love VC++. Just to clarify something, VC++ is an IDE, not a language. It is a C++ compiler. A lot of people seem to get the misconception that VC++ is a language separate from C++. It’s not. It does have a library for working with Windows programming (MFC), but so does Borland Builder (OWL?). The MFC classes all use C++ standards along with some C++ macros for various things. It would probably be quite possible (albeit a LOT of work) to port MFC to other platfoms and get it to compile with gnu’s g++.

(Sorry if you didn’t have this misconception, but it’s a huge pet peave with me.)

That said… the IDE in VC++ is one of the best I’ve ever used. Code navigation is a breeze, and it’s easy to manage projects with many, many source files.

Heh, I use VC++ for ATL-based projects. If I had to do something else, I’d go get a copy of Borland C++ Builder. Used it years ago, and loved it. (Fast compiler, too.) Unfortunately your comment about “OWL” brought back less pleasant memories from school-daze. :wink: I think WinMain is one of those things that port Windows-code to Unix-platforms, instead of making you port MFC. :wink: But I’d use Borland’s Kylix for that. Anyway, nuff off topic for me today. :slight_smile:

I’m using Win2k Alpha Version.
and i have no troubles with my games/programs which use OpenGl.

I have a Guillemot Maxi Gamer Cougar, and the new driver’s for Win2K.

good luck!