glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE, GL_MODULATE);  

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D,              
	     GL_COLOR_INDEX8_EXT,           
	     8, 8,		       
	     GL_COLOR_INDEX,		
	     GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,	           
	     texture);

Is anyting Wrong? If it was correct, the texture
color should be red. But it’s not red. why?

Well, In fact I dont know anything about glColorTable as I have never used it however can I ask you why do you post this question in OpenGL Shading language forum? Maybe you would receive better answers in some other forum.

GL_COLOR_INDEX8_EXT requires the extension GL_EXT_paletted_texture.
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/EXT/paletted_texture.txt
Read the “Support” paragraph carefully.

Support for GL_EXT_paletted_texture is very limited; it is supported on many NVIDIA chipsets EXCEPT the more recent NV4x. Thus, whether the author of the original post intended or not, the topic is somewhat relevant to this forum because a very simple fragment shader can achieve the same effect as GL_EXT_paletted_texture.

Compile and bind the following program, and set the values of ‘tex’ and ‘palette’ to the numbers of the texture units that hold your indexed texture (2-D) and colour table (1-D), respectively.

uniform sampler2D tex;
uniform sampler1D palette;

void main()
{
gl_FragColor = gl_Color * texture1D( palette, texture2D( tex, gl_TexCoord[ 0 ].st ).r );
}

Originally posted by mabraham:

gl_FragColor = gl_Color * texture1D( palette, texture2D( tex, gl_TexCoord[ 0 ].st ).r );

This will only work if point filtering is enabled for both textures. Unless I am mistaken the paletized textures have the lookup done before any filtering is applied.

Komat, I’m sure you’re right (incidentally, I only ever used that shader with nearest neighbour filtering enabled for both units).

I guess one would have to do linear interpolation in the shader if that is desired?

I guess one would have to do linear interpolation in the shader if that is desired?
Yes

Thanks all. I’m confusing with the fast volume rendering. I thought using glColorTable should
be more effective.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.