how to mix TEXTURE_2D and cube map texture in the one single pass of the multitexture

I have this code to render a simple cube. the texture0 is simple texture 2d map then i decide to add reflection by using cubemap .as result i get rather weird effect.This is important ,for example ,i have one 3d model with skinned texture. now i want to add reflection to the model.but i don’t know how to mix 2d texture and cube map texture.is there any simple solution here ?

the code is very simple.

glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB);
glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,texid2);

glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB);
glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB,cube_texid);	
glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_S);
glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_T);
glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_R);

glScalef(0.5f,0.5f,0.5f);
DrawCube();
glScalef(2.0f,2.0f,2.0f);

Anyone has any idea?

Well, looks like your enabling the cube map texture type too fast, and actually enabling Cube Maps on Texture0, not on Texture1.

it would be better to do it like this:

glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,texid2);

glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB,cube_texid);

“glActiveTextureARB()” Lets you choose what Texture Unit to work with, if you want do anything to that texture, like loading etc, you have to do it After “glActiveTextureARB()”.

Also:

glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB);

glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);

would be the disabling code.

Hope that makes sence to you.

Twixn

simple to say, you need two textures, one for base texute ,one for normal texture, and you should create a cube map used for normalize vector.
then, combine the cube map with normal texture by dot3 operation and then moduate the result with the base texture.

Thankx mate ,Now i understand The GlEnable GLDisable Pair is the key to the render multitexture properly.

Now , i got that i have to use texture_env_combine AND texture_env_dot3 to modulate the two textures. For example ,if i want to 0.3 * texture0_color + 0.7 * texture1_color . how can i use this two extension to achieve this effect.

i have to say the texture_env_combine extension seem to be extremely complex and i don’t understand why i have to do the dot3 product between the two texture color?

I think houdy is thinking that you are using the cube as a ‘Normalization Cube Map’, its a bump mapping techique using the dot3 extension…i dont think u actually need to use Dot3 as your only using simple Multitexture of one diffuse texture map and a diffuse cube map (‘Diffuse’ meaning just colour, no fancy lighting effects etc).

I agree, The texture_env_combine extension can get pretty tricky when your starting out.

take alook at the Registry doc:
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/ARB/texture_env_combine.txt

particularly the ‘Overview’ section near the top.
I think what your looking for is the “INTERPOLATE_ARB” combine option.

If your still confuzed or having trouble, i’ll find some tutorials for you if you need them.

Twixn

Oh my,Twixn ,you are really helpful. thanx.
I got my problem solved ,simply by using glTexEnvi( GL_TEXTURE_ENV ,GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE,GL_COMBINE_ARB);
glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV,GL_COMBINE_RGB_ARB,GL_ADD);

since the effect is not modulation between two textures .the multi texture does look much brighter.