How to let my texture looks better under 16 bit mode

Hi,

I use photoshp’s gradient tool to create a tif file and use it as a texture. When use 32 bit desktop it looks well, but when i change to 16 bit desktop it looks bad just like a diaper.

I wonder is there a way to let my texture look better under 16 bit desktop?

256 color image can use dither to simulate 24 bit rgb image. but 16 bit dither to 24 bit
is there a dither way?

regards

Hi !

It’s difficult in 15/16 bit mode, when you have a palette (256 color mode) you can optimize it for the texture, but when you are running in 15/16 bit mode you only have 5 bits per color component (32 shades), so banding is a big problem and I don’t think you can do much about it.

You can for example only get 32 shades of grey in 15/16 bit mode (with some tricks you can get a few more…) with a palette you can have 256 shades of grey if you want to, just an example.

Mikael

use internal format of GL_RGB5

I do think there a way. Because under 16 bit desktop, use photoshp to display the image, it’s very good. I print screen to image file and use it as a texture in opengl, it looks better than origin texture. And i find it’s a
dither image.

Originally posted by mikael_aronsson:
[b]Hi !

It’s difficult in 15/16 bit mode, when you have a palette (256 color mode) you can optimize it for the texture, but when you are running in 15/16 bit mode you only have 5 bits per color component (32 shades), so banding is a big problem and I don’t think you can do much about it.

You can for example only get 32 shades of grey in 15/16 bit mode (with some tricks you can get a few more…) with a palette you can have 256 shades of grey if you want to, just an example.

Mikael[/b]

A solution could be to dither the texture procedurally after loading them.
The only problem is that a dithered texture seen very close don’t look that good.

rIO.sK