How to investigate this problem?

I think my video card is dying but I want to make sure. I am getting this message
“The driver ati2dvaa for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.” on my XP professional - ATI RAGE 128, drivers dated 2001 (latest).

The message usually appears after 3-4 hours of intensive debugging. And unfortunately is not consistent.

I know the card is old, but the application I am developing does not require a high end card. I am only using 1.1.

I am wondering how I can investigate what triggers this failure? Of course if in fact this is a real hardware problem I do not think there is much I can do but if it is a driver problem, I am hoping I can find a workaround.

What would you do in such a situation?

Thanks in advance.

Orhun Birsoy

You are using the drivers supplied by ATI, correct?

http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/r…=4&submit=GO%21

From that page …

Windows XP Display Drivers
Recommended Driver - 6.13.3279
Posted October 22, 2001

The RAGE 128 driver included with Windows XP does NOT support OpenGL.

otherwise it’s time to get a X800 or something. :slight_smile:

I am using that driver.

My new card is already ordered :smiley:

But I am not comfortable with this idea that some user might experience the things I am experiencing and I have no idea why this is happening. Even I do something weird in my code, this should not happen, right?

<edit>
Are there any tools that would help me?
</edit>

OK, just making sure the obvious is done.

I don’t know if your users will be seeing the same problem. You can contact devrel@ati.com and ask them about your problem.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.