How to display truetype text as quickly as possible?

I find that Autocad 2000(or 2002) displays truetype text very fast, however, when i use function “wglUseFontOutlines” to display truetype text in windows 2000 platform, when the string length exceeds 50, I will find a significant slow down when building the display list.

If there is some way to display truetype text in opengl. The text extrusion can be ignored.

Thanks for your attention!

Hi !

One way is to lower the resolution of the outline font, less vertices and it will render faster (and look a bit less nice, it all comes with a price).

Also make sure you render it as fast as possible, disable lighting depth buffer, thins that you don’t need.

If that’s not enough, then I guess you have to look into other solutions, font textures are one of the fastest way, but it’s a bit more messy and can use up a lot of memory if you need lot’s of characters.

Mikael

or you can try rendering truetype fonts to texture at loadtime and then use bitmap fonts… this way you get best of both sides… speed and custom fonts

Originally posted by DarkWIng:
or you can try rendering truetype fonts to texture at loadtime and then use bitmap fonts… this way you get best of both sides… speed and custom fonts

…using wglUseFontBitmaps