How long have you been programming?

Since I was 8, so 21 years.

My first “3d” project was in about 1989 - a spinning globe on a PC, programmed in Turbo Pascal. I typed in hundreds of longitude, lattitude pairs of costal cities with one hand - because my right arm was broken. That sucked. =)

15 years - general programming
10 years - OpenGL

19 years programming total
12 years RT3D
5 years OpenGL

5 Years, started with pascal!
4 Years OpenGL

Interesting thread…! 15 years, 2 years OGL…

Begin : Basic on MO5/MO7, Turbo Pascal on Macintosh, C and RISC ASM on Macintosh, and now C++ on Win32. Author languages : Hyper Talk and Lingo.

Gaby

I don’t remember when I started programming, but it was 14 to 16 years ago. I programmed in atari basic and 6502 assembly language until I got to college 8 years ago and had access to a computer made after 1980. Then I learned C and C++. I started OpenGL programming sometime around then, and DirectX programming when DX3 came out. I learned Java in grad school but never used it since. Most of my coding is in C or C++ in roughly equal measure, though I still do the occasional bit of x86 assembly.

13 years programming in general
6 years OpenGL

Started out in Basic and then some assembly on my good old C64. Aaah, those were the days

I’ve been programming for 24 years, worked
on 3D stuff since '88 (14 years) and have
been using OpenGL for 7 years or so.

Darn, that qualifies me as an old fart, I guess.

Karel

25 Years total programming.
Started GL programming in 1986 (17 years???)
Started C++ Programming in 1989 (14 years???)

Sheez … time to retire …

6 years general/1.5 years opengl

How can you use f—ing c-- when
DELPHI the true OOP language exists

Er, I forgot to say how long I’d been using OpenGL. I think it’s going on 3 years now.

I started in C++ so I actually don’t know some of the finer details of C…or should I say, restrictions of C. All I’ve had for learning resources were books.

Wooow…
U guys have to be VERY good… but I noticed that you never wrote if you had worked somewhere!..
however… I know(almost goog ) :
scriptprogramming -> PHP 2-3 months and I already starting to make money on it!.. )
other-> I started with Turbo Pascal when the schools started… in august till now… makes 5-months… and I really like pascal because it is a fun language and simple… I’ve started with c++ 1 week ago … but I am learning fast reading “Accelerated c++”.
And I will start to learn openGL as soon as I know c++ because I will do a 3D-engine for my schoolproject(I have almost 2 years from now on to learn both c++ and openGL and everything else to do a 3D-engine)
hehe…
//DENIZ

Wow, some of you have 20 years experience??? Blows my mind. Must have been terrible not having real hardware around.

About 5 to 6 years of C/C++ : started out learning Win API and learning every intricate crap that Windows offers

2 years of GLing on my spare time while doing university.

My dream has been to do neat 3D stuff. Pretty much the reason why I learned programming.

• 9 years coding. Started with QBASIC and asm when I was 13 years old, and later switched to C and C++.
  • about 4 years using OpenGL, started with the minigl driver writting a simple landscape engine and then a quake2 level viewer.

>>u have 20 years experience??? Blows my mind. Must have been terrible not having real hardware around.<<

the hardware wasnt the problem.
the total lack of documentation was (unlike now with the internet where literally more than u want is at your fingertips)
i didnt even have an assembler when i started but had to type in numbers like
“23,34,A9,C9”
truly was painful (even cobol was an improvement), i shudder when i look at it now i expect when youre young youre willing to put up with that crap.
then again i remeber teachers saying i had it easy. in their day, u entered the data on punchcards + itll compile overnight (only to come up with syntax error!) fun

Originally posted by zed:

then again i remeber teachers saying i had it easy. in their day, u entered the data on punchcards + itll compile overnight (only to come up with syntax error!) fun

Zed, now you’re making me feel REALLY old.
Yes, I do remember the overnight syntax errors in the various Algol programs I had to punch… Or that I flunked the mandatory “Programming I” course that I had to take ('78). Or the fun that I had with
using a PDP8 for analyzing electrophysical signals. Ah, those were the days.

Fun topic!

I started when I was 7 on a Laser 200, that’s almost 20 years ago…

I have been working with OpenGL for 3.5 years now.

Regards.

Eric

Originally posted by kz:
Yes, I do remember the overnight syntax errors in the various Algol programs I had to punch…

Believe it or not but I am still using Algol68 these days!

One of our senior programmers developped a suite of Aerodynamic/Thermodynamic programs on the Mac using his own Algol compiler.

I am now converting these to C++ under Win32… (managers would like to sell the tools but the Mac market is not that big for that kind of programs!).

Anyway, I am happy I am not the only one who suffers/suffered!

22 years total
7 years OpenGL