How do I mesh a model properly?

Well, connundrum.

I have a 2D grid of vertices which make up a model. Basically a heightmap. However, I can’t just strip across the mesh due to the fact that some of the data is encoded as an invalid value (ie: it’s a hole in the data, don’t plot that point).

I’ve tried a few things, most recently a stripifier which in the case of ignoring the holes and plotting them anyways works fine. However, when I include the logic to end the strip at a hole and/or discard strips that wouldn’t make up any valid triangles, it works, but the model gets majorly screwed up (it appears as if there are holes at every other triangle).

Anyways, what I’m looking for are suggestions on how to setup a decent model format which takes into account the holes in the data, and can me directly fed to the rendering engine in as best an optimized manner as possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Incidentally, I’m interested in whatever optimizations possible due to the fact that some of my data sets can yield as many as 300,000 triangles.

Siwko

One good way of doing that is to use a “Triangular Irregular Network” (abbrev. TIN). Essentially, a linked list of triangles. Many terrain/height map optimizers use such a network for storage and traversing of the mesh.

Try the following Google search …
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=TIN&nu…earch=&safe=off