How do I get started?

Ok, this is going to sound like a really noobie question, 'cause it is.

I’m taking a computer graphics class, and the school has the OpenGL and GLUT frameworks and libraries on the Macs and Ubuntu boots at the lab. Downloading files off multiple places on the web, I tried and tried to get OpenGL to work on my Windows and Ubuntu boots on my PC, even by taking the library files straight from the school’s Ubuntu machines, but to no avail.

I just bought a used iBook G4, and I’m having problems as well. I want to be able to compile and run OpenGL programs in C on the UNIX terminal on the iBook. So far, it doesn’t recognize the gcc command, and I haven’t seen the OpenGL or GLUT frameworks in the library folder. I tried to get Xcode from the Apple website, but the only version I can find requires Snow Leopard 10.6 or higher, and I have OS 10.5.8. The OpenGL website isn’t helping; maybe I’m just too dumb to figure it out.

Can someone give some idiot-proof instructions and links to just getting OpenGL to work through the terminal on Mac OS 10.5?

Oh wow, I just got Xcode from the backup OS CD that came with my iBook, and everything seems to be working. False Alarm!

If gcc doesn’t work your in major trouble. Try to find out why. Personally I find Xcode the best option, look for the old versinos of xcode on the apple dev. connection. I’m sure you’ll find one.

Good luck

Lightweight IDE works very well with OpenGL, you just open the main program file and run (plus of course that any data files must be in the right place). It is mainly indended for educational and hobby use.

http://ragnemalm.se/lightweight/

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.