How can I use DirectX .X File in OpenGL

I want use DirectX .X File in OpenGL, how to do it? Has anyone did it? Help me please!

there are documents in the dxsdk describing the format of the .x files. with those and the knowledge of datastructures and file-loading i assume you have, its nothing different than any other format…

but no, i haven’t worked with .x files except for a very short time and its quite a while back…

Yea, I checked out some of the spec. But its time consuming to write an importer.

If anyone knows of a x to 3ds, ase, lwo, obj converter, lemme kno!

I was gone hack a DX demo to have it export the vertices. No dice!

V-man

Thank you for the reply!

If you think it’s time consuming to write an importer for a format that’s actually documented and where working files already exist, then how will you find most other parts of computer graphics? This field requires oodles of patience and persistence.

Originally posted by jwatte:
If you think it’s time consuming to write an importer for a format that’s actually documented and where working files already exist, then how will you find most other parts of computer graphics? This field requires oodles of patience and persistence.

Definitly, but I dont consider file importing/exporting to be part of 3d graphics. It s more of a data management affair

Neverthless, “you got to do what you got to do”. That’s my motto.

V-man

I use DeepExploration
http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/index.htm

for all my import/export needs. Great program. If you just want a single file/model
converted I can even do it for you, email
me at mathiaspalm@yahoo.com

roffe,

an issue with importers is version number. The newer x files can be zip compressed. DeepExploration doesn’t support it.

Anywhoo, I will have to ask some DX folk for help about the hacking a DX demo.

V-man

I use 3D Exploration to convert different 3D graph files, I think it is good for the job. My question is load .x file in OpenGL, because I need it for my project, thank you.

Originally posted by V-man:
[b]roffe,

an issue with importers is version number. The newer x files can be zip compressed. DeepExploration doesn’t support it.
[/b]

Hi V-man,

FYI: Support for zip compressed files is definitely on our ‘to-do’ list for Deep Exploration as this has been requested by several people.

Regards,
Robin.

support@righthemisphere.com http://www.righthemisphere.com/