How can I store multiple depths per pixel?

Hello! I am implementing depth peeling for transparent objects.
I am thinking that could be usefull to store for each pixel the depth produced by multiple fragments.
The solution that I found out is to use A-buffer. Unfortunatelly I cannot use it with my machines and for other reasons.

Any tips/suggestions about storing multiple data for single pixel would be appreaciated :smiley:

You’re pretty much defining an A-Buffer, and then saying you can’t use one.

What specific implementation of an A-Buffer can’t you use with your machines and for other reasons? Per-pixel linked lists?

Have you considered other A-Buffer implementations, like:

Sometimes called a K-Buffer as well.

Well besides MSAA, you do have MRT (multiple render targets). You can investigate whether you can make use of that.

Hey hi! Thanks for your answer :smiley: It’s really useful.

What specific implementation of an A-Buffer can’t you use with your machines and for other reasons?

I cannot know on which machine my software will be installed on and all A-buffer implementations that I found are using NVidia extensions. Plus unfortunatelly I cannot find good resources for generic A-buffer explanation (only this blog ).

I found a paper explaning K-Buffer and it seems it uses MRT.

Thanks for the demo link, I will study it.

Well besides MSAA, you do have MRT (multiple render targets). You can investigate whether you can make use of that

Yes, you are right, MRT could work for me. Thanks again :smiley: