How can I have the shader handle two different objects?

I have a cube which has a texture on it (picture on each face of it), which I want to retain.

Also, I have a sphere that orbits the cube, which I just want to color.

Now, I can display the textures, or color the items with the fragment/vertex shader, but I would like to change the color of just the sphere, but leave the cube unchanged.

Ultimately, then, I want to apply lighting and shading to both objects, equally. But, want to start out with baby steps.

Here are my vertex and fragment shaders

//fragment
//varying vec4 color;

//image texture
uniform sampler2D myTexture;
varying vec2 vTexCoord;

void main (void) {

//gl_FragColor = vec4(1.0, 0.5, 0.0, 0.0);
	//one or the other gives me the desired results
	gl_FragColor = texture2D(myTexture, vTexCoord);
}

and here is my vertex shader

//vertex
//varying vec4 color;
varying vec2 vTexCoord;

void main(void) {
  vTexCoord = vec2(gl_MultiTexCoord0);
  //vTexCoord = gl_MultiTexCoord0;
  //color = gl_Color;
  gl_Position = gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * gl_Vertex;
}

It looks like you’ve just about got the vertex color plumbed into your shader already.

Once you have that, you have options.

You could pass in a uniform that tells you whether to apply the texture or apply the color. But it might be simpler to just apply both, modulating them together (e.g. color * texture). Consider that 1 * X = X and X * 1 = X.

Thanks for the reply Dark Photon,

I am not familiar enough with uniforms to know exactly what they are doing.

I assume I am close, because depending on which gl_FragColor I enable, I get the desired result.

But, how exactly would I go about implementing that?

I will mediate on it, in the interim=)

thanks!

Here’s a wiki page in the OpenGL Wiki on them: Uniform (GLSL). Basically, they’re values you can pass in from your C++ program that are effectively constant for all of the primitives in a draw call. You can use them to pass in state that doesn’t need to change vertex-to-vertex or fragment-to-fragment.

However, if you just use the modulate approach, you probably don’t need one.

If you don’t have a good book on OpenGL programming, I’d suggest you pick one up. Alternatively, you can consult the online OpenGL Wiki, the OpenGL man pages, and various OpenGL tutorials around the net.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.