Hi all .... :-)

Hi ppl, Im J@nus and Im new to this Board…

Normally I do 3D animation and other stuff, but during the years 3D got a little boring to me, cause of the lack of interaction between user and programm. Therefore I thought to learn OpenGl. Now I have very many questions and I hope you all will be very patient with me

OK lets start :

1. I need a resource, where to get the Tools… ( I already got MS Visual Studio 6…is this any good ?)but I too need all those libs and the other stuff.
  2. Are there good books , which you can recommend to me ? ( I must get them in Europe too)
  3. I`m an Austrian, so If there are german ppl here, feel free to talk to me in german, since this is sometimes easier.
  4. How long will it take to learn OpenGl ?
    ( I`m learning quite fast ) For example :" How long did you need to make a spinning cube in OpenGl ?"
  5. Thanxs for reading this and you can contact me at :

I_dont_work@hotmail.com

Have a nice and productive day :slight_smile:

1: Unless you got an illegal copy of MSCV cough, you should have what is needed to start programming OpenGL. You need to add some libraries to you project: opengl32.lib (glu32.lib if you intend to use GLU). You also need to include <gl/gl.h> (and eventualy <gl/glu.h> ).

2: Yes, there are some nice books you can try. OpenGL SuperBible, Second Edition and OpenGL 1.2 Programming Guide, Third Edition: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 1.2 is two good books (40-50 bucks at http://www.amazon.com )

3: There are some germans here, I’m not one of em

4: Depends on what you mean by learning. But to get to know OpenGL can take a few days. And another month or so to know it enought to be able to use it in a good way.

5: No problems

A last word of advice: visit http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Thanxs Bob for this nice introduction

I think I will pay amazon a visit

and BTW: thanks for the link : nice tutorials and little samples to practice !

You will hear from me, and nice weekend to all

J@nus