Help with openGl and linux

I need to know wher a good source is to get Info. on programming openGl in C== on Linux.
I have a new project that I just recieved I’ll be using RedHat and the system supports openGl.
I have never even worked on a linux machine( OR Unix), and I have never programmed graphics.
Much help needed .
PLease all Info. is appreciated.

Oh my, you’re in for some fun. For the OpenGL stuff, I’d check out the “Redbook.” You can get a full-text copy of it online somewhere, though I don’t have the link handy at the moment. (I actually bought the book.) Do a search for it on the board and I’m sure you’ll turn up links to it.

If you’re going to do this on Linux, you’ll probably want to learn about Makefiles, they’ll make your life a lot easier. I don’t know of any good sources for explaining these offhand.

You’ll also have to decide if you need to use Glut, or the glX functions for window creation. There are benefits and drawbacks to both. I’ve never used the glX* functions, but my guess is that you’ll need to learn the internals of how to write X programs. In the end, that will give you more flexibility for window creation, but it won’t be as portable as if you used Glut.