Help with my counter-strike with radeon 8500 128 mb

My comp’s specs include: 600 mhz (hp pavilion) netbus 100 mhz with 256 mem, ATI radeon 8500le (128 mb). I use Windows XP and I have tried the ATI refresh rate fix. I use a cable modem. My FPS (Frames per second) in counter-strike averages around 15 when I am firing a weapon. I use 800x600 opengl. I believe my FPS should be higher then that. These are some of my commands I use in counter-strike: cl_latency -50 cl_updaterate 40 cl_cmdrate 40 fps_max 99 fps_modem 99 I also haved turned off vertical sync for my video card and have set everysetting for both opengl and direct3d to performace instead of quality. I even changed windows from “You what windows recomends” to “Best performance” under performance in system properties. When I am in a game and I am spectating and I am floating in the sky not looking at anyone my fps is around 70 but the second I lock onto someone or look at someone it drops to 30 and when I am alive to 15. PLEASE HELP ME I BEG OF SOMEONE TO HELP ME

[This message has been edited by Erock (edited 11-04-2002).]

I own a Radeon 9700 and i set CS to use Direct3D and mine works fine… except some flashing on the walls… but mostly everything is ok. Just for the fun of it I set my fpsmax to 110, 6x AntiAlias, 16x AntiSoptic with Vsync waiting on and i still get a capped 99.9 fps - Awesome isn’t it?

Originally posted by Erock:
[b]My comp’s specs include: 600 mhz (hp pavilion) netbus 100 mhz with 256 mem, ATI radeon 8500le (128 mb). I use Windows XP and I have tried the ATI refresh rate fix. I use a cable modem. My FPS (Frames per second) in counter-strike averages around 15 when I am firing a weapon. I use 800x600 opengl. I believe my FPS should be higher then that. These are some of my commands I use in counter-strike: cl_latency -50 cl_updaterate 40 cl_cmdrate 40 fps_max 99 fps_modem 99 I also haved turned off vertical sync for my video card and have set everysetting for both opengl and direct3d to performace instead of quality. I even changed windows from “You what windows recomends” to “Best performance” under performance in system properties. When I am in a game and I am spectating and I am floating in the sky not looking at anyone my fps is around 70 but the second I lock onto someone or look at someone it drops to 30 and when I am alive to 15. PLEASE HELP ME I BEG OF SOMEONE TO HELP ME

[This message has been edited by Erock (edited 11-04-2002).][/b]

Too bad when I set my video mode to any Direct3d my fps is 4… sometimes five if its a small game.

Are you sure you are using the latest ATi Catalyst drivers?

Originally posted by Erock:
Too bad when I set my video mode to any Direct3d my fps is 4… sometimes five if its a small game.

yes i am using the newest video drivers got em from www.rage3d.com… um new question cuz i know lil bout this… I used this program called sandra and its like control panel with many different applications but for physical data. Well it analyized my DirectX and it said at the bottom that my video card could not handle 3d accleration. And it also said that there something with the card and that I may not be able to play games or watch media with it… All the “fixes” said that either I don’t have the latest video driver or I should buy a new video card. WTF… I wasn’t even sure if rag3d had latest so I went to www.ati.com and found the catalyst driver forget what number (could be 2.3) but this was the driver and yet after installing it I still got no result in sandra same errors.

[This message has been edited by Erock (edited 11-06-2002).]

Since you have WinXP on a Pavilion with a 600mhz CPU, I’m guessing you upgraded to XP from Win98 or WinME. You won’t believe how many problems people have had with this upgrade path.

If at all possible, I recommend a clean install of WinXP. You can try installing the latest DirectX from Microsoft, and then reloading your video drivers.

Another thing you can do: Click “Start”, then “Run”, type in “dxdiag” (without quotes, of course) and see if it shows any errors.

Good luck