help ** glGetString returns NULL

ok guys ive replaced OpenGL32.dll in the system32 folder with the OpenGL95, ive moved the OpenGL95 Libs into my compilers appropriate folders, and when i try to run the glGetString on any of the enum types it returns an invalid ptr, NULL. it was working fine on my laptop but when i moved it over to the desktop with my ATI 9700 in it, it wont play. what gives.

yes i just reinstalled xp home edition installed the latest ati drivers for my 9700 all in wonder and the damn thing wont run any opengl apps. it keeps crashing them fark!!! please help if anyone knows what im talking about

Originally posted by ciaran:
ok guys ive replaced OpenGL32.dll in the system32 folder with the OpenGL95

Huuuhhhh??? And why on Earth did you do that?

Anyway you need to have a valid rendering context before you can call glGetString().

none of my OpenGL specific demos or apps work, they keep crumping with no software intervention, meaning the software is not catching it windows XP is. ive tried replacing the OpenGL32.dll and Glu32.dll in the system32 folder, but that hasnt worked. i think its the OpenGL32.dll but i dont know where to get one from ATI, there OpenGL support sux butt. please someone help. DirectX works like a champ its only with OpenGL

the opengl drivers are usually included with your video card drivers, i know of a utility that automaticaly checks your drivers and updates them. I’m not sure of the name but I know someone else will pop up who does.

EDIT : double post.

[This message has been edited by ZbuffeR (edited 12-08-2003).]

Originally posted by ZbuffeR:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by dj_indo_420:
the opengl drivers are usually included with your video card drivers

Yep, you should try to upgrade you video card drivers first.
EDIT : sorry, I just saw that you’ve already done that.

i know of a utility that automaticaly checks your drivers and updates them. I’m not sure of the name but I know someone else will pop up who does.

You probably meant “GlSetup”.[/b][/QUOTE]

Are you sure that the OpenGL context is current when you call glGetString ?

Mikael

By nuking your opengl32.dll in the system directory, you’ll never be able to use OpenGL anymore. Bravo. Now go and reinstall your OS.

No need to reinstall the OS but indeed replacing an system DLL is a BAD IDEA !
Ask a friend with the same OS version (including Service Packs) to give you its DLL.
Otherwise XP have a repair feature I think, it might help.

your opengl dlls are on your windows cd, if you have xp you can browse directly through the cab files, if you have 98/95 you could use the cabinet extractor to try to find them * just so you don’t have to reinstall whole os :slight_smile:

I still want to know why you were using openGL95???

Originally posted by ciaran:
ive tried replacing the OpenGL32.dll and Glu32.dll in the system32 folder, but that hasnt worked.

And why do you think that a DLL that is approx. 7-8 years old and written for an ancient 32bit desktop thats based on a 16bit extension for an 8bit OS that was developed for an 4bit processor will help you?

Sorry to say that but you should not mess with system until you KNOW what you are doing.

I suggest you start all over again from scratch with a clean install so you can be sure there are no other “enhancements” of yours.

And dont mess with your system like that again.