Has anyone else seen this

Hello,

I am really happy I found this discussion group. The comp.graphics.opengl discussion forum turned out to be a real dead-end. Now I feel like a kid in a candy store!

Has anyone else noticed their output being mysteriously clipped on Win32 systems when the MS Generic drivers are in use and the window size is large (near full-screen)? The output looks as though it is being clipped with glScissor on the right and bottom and I don’t have an explanation for it. I haven’t seen this problem on systems that have OpenGL accelerators.

Thanks in advance for the candy,

• Moe -

I got the same problems too, but it seems to be a problem of the native openGL drivers from Microsoft. I also got no problems with accellerator cards.

See http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q272/2/22.ASP

But I haven’t tried to see if it works.

Yep, that would work. I can render to a bitmap in my app in any size without clipping problems. But it’s much slower to copy a DIB to screen than using SwapBuffers()…

Coconut,

I’d say that this exactly describes my problem. I am disgusted with Microsoft’s “resolution”, but at least I know that I am not off my nut and that this is happening for a reason.

• Moe -

Originally posted by Coconut:
[b]See http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q272/2/22.ASP

But I haven’t tried to see if it works.

[/b]

You have 2 really good alternatives for software OpenGL in win32:
*SGI OpenGL for windows (I have it):
-very fast, specially in 16bit and 8bit modes
-OpenGL 1.1
-currently unsupported
-can use hardware acceleration if present (you can manually turn off hardware acceleration by toggling a registry key).

*Mesa3D (www.mesa3d.org):
-OpenGL 1.2
-relativelly slow, but fully featured and frequently updated
-free source code included.

PD: Microsoft solution is a very mediocre workaround for the problem. Avoid it if you can.

[This message has been edited by coco (edited 01-16-2001).]

Originally posted by coco:
[b]You have 2 really good alternatives for software OpenGL in win32:
*SGI OpenGL for windows (I have it):
-very fast, specially in 16bit and 8bit modes
-OpenGL 1.1
-currently unsupported
-can use hardware acceleration if present (you can manually turn off hardware acceleration by toggling a registry key).

*Mesa3D (www.mesa3d.org):
-OpenGL 1.2
-relativelly slow, but fully featured and frequently updated
-free source code included.

PD: Microsoft solution is a very mediocre workaround for the problem. Avoid it if you can.

[/b]

1. I’ve tried SGI’s libs earlier. They are slower than the microsoft ones.
  2. Mesa is not bad, but it’s not 100% compatible to openGL (or Microsoft isn’t?). I do polygon triangulation of concave polygons to view them. If they got holes inside, the mesa wont display them. Microsoft’s openGL does.

In both options you have to ship the .dll’s with your software. I have ignored this now, as most people got accellerator boards.

Kilam.

[This message has been edited by Kilam Malik (edited 01-17-2001).]