graphics cards

what advantages do either of the cards have over the other

Guillemot/Hercules 3D Prophet GTS 32MB

ASUS GeForceII V7700 32MB

Same chip, same amount of ram. They would perform about the same.

The Hercules has TV/DVI outputs (at least mine does) but I don’t know about the ASUS.

j

It’s a close call.
I could depend on the clock speed too, since I think Hercules sometimes sells cards with slightly higher clock speed. If not, then check the one that gives you the most features or the one that’s cheapest. I would recomend, depending on your budget:
-Elsa Gladiac since it has tv in/out and 3D revelator lenses
-Creative Anhilator 2 since it seems to be the cheapest around.

Anyway, all cards based in the GeForce2 GTS with 32MB will perform virtually identical.

I could depend on the clock speed too, since I think Hercules sometimes sells cards with slightly higher clock speed.

It doesn’t matter all that much, since you can overclock from the display settings.

My Hercules came at 220 Mhz chip and 365 Mhz ram, as opposed to 200/333 (nVidia recommended speed).

I managed to get 10 extra Mhz out of the ram, none from the chip. Anything more and I started getting flashing triangles in the X-Isle demo.

j

hmm maybe the hercules are actually “pre overclocked”. Well either way i would say the LOWER clockspeed card is better becasue the cards performance has to do with how much bandwidth is being used up and it is MUCH more effecient to overclock the RAM and NOT overclock the processer until the RAM is at its highest setting. Higher processer rates on the Geforce2 GTS does almost nothing compared to faster RAM. The ASUS has the advantage if the hercules comes in a higher clock speed(Thats if it doesnt include higher bandwidth).

[This message has been edited by ninja770 (edited 01-15-2001).]

The ASUS has the advantage if the hercules comes in a higher clock speed(Thats if it doesnt include higher bandwidth).

Like I said, the RAM in the hercules is overclocked to 365 mhz instead of 333 which is the default. There’s the bandwidth.

j

Hmm… interesting discussion had a look at the ELSA Gladiac - seems the one i should go for