Good for Golf?

I am new to programming, and have never used OpenGL, but I have an “itch” to scratch. I would like to (eventually) write an open source golf game, similar to MS Golf or Tiger Woods Golf, etc…

Anyway, I don’t know where to start. Would OpenGL be the right underlying technology? Is there some game development kit I should look at to make my life easier? It seems like the physics wouldn’t be too complicated, and the game play is fairly simple. I will want users to be able to creat their own courses, and maybe even add their own golfers at some point.

If someone could just point me in the right direction, it would be very helpful.

I think what you are looking for is a 3D graphics engine.
OpenGL, Direct X are the graphics subsystems, used by the 3D engines to do the low level drawing.

By using a pre-writing 3D engine all you need to do is supply the graphic images and models to go into your games. Plus program how to handle user input and how the objects interact with each other.

There are a few listed here on this site and see which ones offer the features your want.

Originally posted by charlie_lesh@yahoo.com:
[b]I am new to programming, and have never used OpenGL, but I have an “itch” to scratch. I would like to (eventually) write an open source golf game, similar to MS Golf or Tiger Woods Golf, etc…

Anyway, I don’t know where to start. Would OpenGL be the right underlying technology? Is there some game development kit I should look at to make my life easier? It seems like the physics wouldn’t be too complicated, and the game play is fairly simple. I will want users to be able to creat their own courses, and maybe even add their own golfers at some point.

If someone could just point me in the right direction, it would be very helpful.[/b]