Glow, silhouettes, cube lighting, fresnel reflection, ...

Originally posted by SeskaPeel:
[b]Madoc, actually, intersecting with the view frustum would give some bad results, as the plane won’t be infinite.

It won’t be if I used an infinite projection matrix, but going this way, there’s no need ot intersect with the view frustum.

SeskaPeel.[/b]

I’m not following you there. It would look infinite. Problem is more that you don’t want it to look infinite as the earth isn’t flat, so you need some kind of horizon.

What do you mean by there’s no need to intersect the view frustum? How else would you make it cover the entire view? I can’t say I can actually think of any other solution. Unless what Tom suggested with w and q = 0 would work.

>>>for the water, we have a problem involving mip mapping of the bump map, and the mesh (a basic plane) for the water is not as large as it should be. Actually it should be infinite, but I don’t know how to do this correctly. We tried a huge mesh, but frame rate dropped down drastically …<<<

You arent using automatic mipmaping for normal maps are you? I’m assuming you mean normal maps here.

If you aren’t animating the surface and it just flat, then you dont need many polys and no need to transform it.

Hint: the nearer regions can have more smaller polys and the farther ones larger ones. kind of Geo-mipmapping.

I would do some vertex displacement in a VP to animate the near polys. It would look better than bumpmaps.

V-Man, I read the nvidia “robust” paper about normal map mipmapping, and I simply didn’t understand. So yes, I am using automatic mip map generation.

Is that it ?

SeskaPeel.

Originally posted by V-man:
for the water, we have a problem
I would do some vertex displacement in a VP to animate the near polys.

Can you give any examples how to actualy do this? I’ve searched a few forums but I haven’t found a VP perlin noise that actualy worked (There is one that almost works, but only for small input values)

Originally posted by SeskaPeel:
V-Man, I read the nvidia “robust” paper about normal map mipmapping, and I simply didn’t understand.

Which paper is that?

– Tom

Tom : http://developer.nvidia.com/object/Practical_Bumpmapping_Tech.html

SeskaPeel.

Ah, thanks. So what exactly is your issue with the mipmapping of the water bumpmap, and which part of the paper did you have trouble with?

– Tom

Tom : chapter 5.3

SeskaPeel.

Tom any hint ? I’m still a bit lost …

SeskaPeel.