glCopyTexSubImage3D with GF3

Hi NG!

Has anybody here ever used the glCopyTexSubImage3D or glCopyTexSubImage3DEXT procedures on a GeForce 3 Card? wglGetProcAddress() works with both funtionnames but calling glCopyTexSubImage3D or glCopyTexSubImage3DEXT in my app causes the programm to slow down very much (from 50 fps to 0.1 fps) and the texture does not change at all.

• Jens

What drivers do you use?

Originally posted by FXO:
What drivers do you use?

I Use NVIDIA reference drivers 23.11 on Windows XP.

• Jens

EDIT: What I wrote below is plain BS as it seems that glCopyTexSubImage is core OpenGL since version 1.1 ! The only thing you should test for is GL_EXT_texture3D which is most probably present on your drivers !

Sorry !

Regards.

Eric

Jens,

You say that wglGetProcAddress works but is the extension GL_EXT_copy_texture actually advertised in this version of the drivers (I mean can you find it in the extension string ?).

Sometimes, beta versions of extensions are present in the drivers (i.e. wglGetProcAddress works) but the extension is not advertised in the extension string: this usually means that you SHOULDN’T use the extension.

I have just checked on my machine (GF3/Detonator 27.42/Win2K) and the extension is not advertised. But perhaps it is part of OpenGL 1.3 ?

Regards.

Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 02-22-2002).]

Originally posted by Eric:
The only thing you should test for is GL_EXT_texture3D which is most probably present on your drivers !

Yes I check that and - as you mentioned - GL_EXT_texture3D is present. But I can find nothing about glCopyTexSubImage3D or glCopyTexSubImage3DEXT in NVIDIAs extension specs, so I’m not even sure if GL_EXT_texture3D is the right extension string.

But I just installed NVIDIAs Beta Drivers 27.42 and at least something seems to happen to my 3D texture, but I need to do further testing. If anybody here already did some work with the glCopyTexSubImage3D on a GF3 please post your experiences.

• Jens

3D textures were made part of the core specification in OpenGL 1.2. I believe the only reason NVidia exposes GL_EXT_texture3D is to indicate that 3D texturing is hardware-accelerated. Hence, it should work regardless of whether the extension is exposed, although it may run in software.

That said, I tried with the 27.10 drivers on Win2K, and get correct results and full acceleration.

– Tom