(GL3.2) texelFetch of multisample depth texture

I tried to implement antialiased deferred shader using method given by
Llian Dinev .

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=52473&Number=271470#Post271470

and got it working for the most part.

I can “texelFetch” texel of g-buffer fine but have a problem fetching multisample depth texture

The preblem is “texelFetch” of multisample depth texture alway return 0 for all sampling position and give no error.

this is the snippet of code I use to set up multisample depth texture of g-buffer FBO

glGenTextures(1, &depthBufferTexID);
		glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D_MULTISAMPLE, depthBufferTexID);
		glTexImage2DMultisample(GL_TEXTURE_2D_MULTISAMPLE, sample , GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24 ,  width, height,GL_FALSE);
		glFramebufferTexture2DEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT_EXT, GL_TEXTURE_2D_MULTISAMPLE,depthBufferTexID, 0);

Note that the FBO above is working fine and g-buffer are render correctly.

I initialize the FBO with these funcs:

for(int i=0;i<NumTextures;i++){
	glFramebufferTexture(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0+i, f->Textures[i]->glTexHandle, 0);
}
glFramebufferTexture(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT, f->DepthTex->glTexHandle, 0);

GLenum status = glCheckFramebufferStatus(GL_FRAMEBUFFER);

Maybe these MSAA binds require the glFramebufferTexture() to be used instead of glFramebufferTexture2DEXT() ?

Also, check the value returned by
glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_DEPTH_TEXTURE_SAMPLES,&maxSamples);

In http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/texture_multisample.txt it’s specified, that implementations (Radeon HD2x00) could return ‘1’ as that value. :frowning:

Can you post the depth texture setup code ?

my is

glGenTextures(1, &depthBufferTexID);
		glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D_MULTISAMPLE, depthBufferTexID);
		glTexImage2DMultisample(GL_TEXTURE_2D_MULTISAMPLE, sample , GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24 ,  width, height,GL_FALSE);

glFramebufferTexture2DEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT_EXT, GL_TEXTURE_2D_MULTISAMPLE,depthBufferTexID, 0);

with is working fine when doing g-buffer creation (depth testing working as expect)

but had a problem when tried to texelFetch it in lighting pass

Same, but as already noted: I use glFramebufferTexture() instead of glFramebufferTexture2DEXT()

What gpu and driver-version are you using?

ATI 4670 , catalyst 10.1 driver.
change all FBO code to core doesn’t help.

May be the problem is I tried to read depth when it attach to the same FBO.

Actually my g-buffer and final shading-buffer are on the same FBO It setup like this.

depthbuffer = depth_component24
color attachment 0 = g-buffer(normal)
color attachment 1 = g-buffer(diffuse/albedo)
color attachment 2 = g-buffer(specular)
color attachment 3 = final-shading buffer

In g-buffer creation state I enable depth test and use the first three (0-2) color attachment to store g-buffer content.

In final-shading state , I switch draw buffer to color attachment 3 of the same FBO and do deferred shading there (disable depth testing,texel fetch from color attachment 0-2 + depth texture).

The process above work fine for non-multisample FBO.

Why I setup my FBO like this is so that I dont have to switch FBO and make a copy of depth texture when do final shading and forward rendering pass.

I will try to make a copy of depth texture and feed it to final shading state instead of using the attached one and see if the problem are still there.

this is probably not your issue, but reading from a msaa depth texture is only available on rv7xx HW and above, as indicated by the query.

glGetIntegerv(GL_MAX_DEPTH_TEXTURE_SAMPLES,&maxSamples);

return 8

Got it working now !!!.

I have to disable depth testing right after I switch draw buffer for final-shading state (switch to color attachment 3).

If I do some depth testing before the fetching even if I disable depth testing after that the fetching will always failed.

this will not work

-switch to color attachment 3
-enable depth testing
-do some rendering (ambient pass)
-disable depth testing
-do some texelFetch of depth (shading pass)

this work

-switch to color attachment 3
-disable depth testing
-do some rendering (ambient pass)
-do some texelFetch of depth (shading pass)