gl_ModelViewMatrix in 1.50

I’ve been trying to learn OpenGL 3.2 and GLSL 1.50, but I’m having a hard time. I noticed that gl_ModelViewMatrix (and others) are deprecated in 1.50. Why is this, and does the application really have to manage things like setting the modelview matrix manually and settings its inverse (if you need gl_ModelViewMatrixInverse)? I found all of those default uniform matrices very useful in shader programming.

Also, is there some place where the changes to OpenGL are justified for each version? It would be nice to see why certain functionality was deprecated in the latest versions.

Thanks.

They’re deprecated in GLSL 1.3. And yes I agree they’re very useful when learning GLSL. Good training wheels. Once you get your “shader legs” then it’s not a big deal to plug in your own. If you want them, just #version 120 at the top of your GLSL shaders and be happy.

Why were they removed? The removal of built-in uniforms and attributes went along with the deprecation of the legacy GL “fixed-function pipeline” functionality.

Also, is there some place where the changes to OpenGL are justified for each version? It would be nice to see why certain functionality was deprecated in the latest versions.

The OpenGL/Khronos presentations at SIGGRAPH/GDC is the best I’ve found for this.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.