Getting Started WIth OpenGL

I have known the c++ language for sometime now, and I began to get interested in OpenGL recently, for many reasons. I have already bought the official OpenGL Programming guide and I have Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0.

I have not been able to get anything, from the book, or otherwise (internet sources, examples), to work and compile with my MS VC++ 6.0

How can I compile OpenGL with MS VC++ 6.0?

Can anyone help me figure out what’s wrong? And any suggestions on getting started programming with OpenGL?

Also… I was thinking about focusing in a 3d game engine, any suggestions there either?

Thank You In Advance.

You’ll need to post some error messages or better describe what you mean when you say it won’t compile. It’ll be very hard for us to guess at what is going wrong without more info.

Hi !

Yes, some more information would help, if you get compilation errors then post them here, if you get linking errors, make sure that you included opengl32.lib and maybe glu32.lib in your project, it is also possible that you need glut or glaux or other libraries to get an application to link succesfully.

Mikael

I use VC++ 6.0 so here’s some pointers…

Make sure the opengl32.lib and glu32.lib etc are placed in your lib directory and that it has the .h equivalents in the include/GL directory. Mine did so I assume yours does too.

Next either manually add the lib filenames to the project via project->settings->link or after including the gl include files in your source file add the following lines… whatever you feel more comfortable with:

#pragma comment(lib, “OPENGL32.LIB”)
#pragma comment(lib, “GLU32.LIB”)

Then do the smallest GL project available to make sure that everything will compile fine such as those at nehe.gamedev.net … then work your way up.

And yes let us know what happens when you try to compile/link/run the program.

Tina

Use Borland =)