geforce3 and cost

The Jaguar was a duel 32bit system as far as I know. Anyway what the hell happened to it, it was only around for about 5 minutes.

The GameCube has some very Promising titles on release date. The graphics also look amazing- just as good as the Xbox screen shots.

When(if ) do you think the GeForce3 Ultra would be released. More importantly when do you thing the next NV(30?) chip will come out, I read somewhere it would be arouund christmas??

I heard that Nvidia is scheduled to release a new chipset approximately every 6 months.

Aaaarrrrggghhh … don’t know if I can take anymore:

"Q: Does the Geforce3 support 3d textures and Volumetric Texture Compression?
A: Yes , the Geforce3 supports 3d textures and VTC. Microsoft hasn’t added them to DirectX and we’re waiting for Microsoft. "
http://www.techextreme.com/display.asp?ID=371&Page=3

This is from an interview with nVidia director of product development. So, is it real?

I heard that Nvidia is scheduled to release a new chipset approximately every 6 months.

Yeah, usually it is a new chipset every spring and an updated one that fall. Example - Geforce2 Spring 2000, Geforce2 Ultra Fall 2000.

However, the “new” chipset isn’t always that new. For example, the Geforce2 is basically a Geforce256 with a faster clock rate and smaller chip die size.

j

Humus,

Very interesting. I hate all the rumours about 3D textures. I just wish they’d tell us. I’m sure there’d be a few people (me included) that would buy a GF3 if they did support 3D textures in hardware (maybe not you Radeon owners ).

What I’d hate even more is if 3D textures are supported in hardware but not yet implemented because of DX and we have to wait until a new version of DX to get them just because of some deal between nVidia and Microsoft.

Originally posted by ffish:
What I’d hate even more is if 3D textures are supported in hardware but not yet implemented because of DX and we have to wait until a new version of DX to get them just because of some deal between nVidia and Microsoft.

That’s what it’s starting to sound like to me. If this is the case then yes, it’s kind of lame, but I’d prefer to wait a bit for a driver upgrade than to not get 3D textures at all. I’d hate to think that I spent $500 on a piece of hardware whose drivers don’t expose all of its features

• Tom

Why do they have to wait for M$ to expose 3D texture hardware? Surely they could just expose the gl extension, while they wait on M$ putting it into DX?

Doesn’t make sense.

Nutty

This was what I was thinking too. And since Radeon’s 3d textures are working in D3D already I can’t see why GF3 would need special support.

>> Why do they have to wait for M$ to expose 3D texture hardware? Surely they could just expose the gl extension, while they wait on M$ putting it into DX? <<

Just speculating but perhaps ms doesn’t want to compete with ogl? and since nvidia has their chips in xbox maybe nvidia doesn’t want to damage their relationship with ms. Of course this doesn’t work for dx7 vs. ogl register combiners. Or perhaps nvidia is too busy or is in process negotiating with other arb members or red tape or or ok I’m done

Just saw nvidia posted new ogl extensions pdf doc on their developer site. Also wanted to ask nvidia folks - where is ms heading with opengl? Does ms tolerate you because you license technology to them as a tradeoff? I read bill gates is very paranoid about competition and now that linux is shaping up its 3d I wonder where this puts nvidia in microsoft’s eyes. It’s amazing to me that you’ve been able to release ogl drivers for linux, looks like you guys have some serious button pushing power

Why the hell shouldn’t Nvidia release drivers for Linux??!?! Who the hell does M$ think they are, if they can dictate another companies OS support!!!

If that suspicion is true, and M$ are stopping Nvida releasing hardware 3D textures in OpenGL, as they dont want the competition for D3D, then it just amplifies my contempt for them!

Nutty

Whoah… hold it with the conspiracy theories, there. There is no anti-Linux conspiracy. (And yes, I am including not just us, but also MS in that statement.) And regardless of your views on MS, it is completely absurd to suggest that they somehow restrain us from releasing Linux drivers, seeing as (1) we release the drivers and (2) they don’t restrain us, or anyone else (to my knowledge).

• Matt

I’m glad to hear it. Just someone implied that was the case on another thread.

Nutty ‘The Truth Is Out There’

Just thought I’d toss out another post on Quincunx:
I took a closer look at the Geforce 3 using 2x, Quincunx, and 4x anti-aliasing in Serious Sam and Summoner at 1024x768, and both 2x and 4x are much less blurry than Quincunx. Plus, on an 800 mhz machine with 256 mb of ram, 4x anti-aliasing doesn’t hurt game performance much more than Quincunx (I’d guess it drops from maybe 40 to 30 fps, but with much better visual quality), so I really don’t understand what Quincunx is supposed to do…

On the NVIDIA website developer info there’s a listing of all of their OpenGL extensions and EXT_texture3D is listed. Is this the same as 3D textures support?

> they don’t restrain us, or anyone else (to my knowledge).

Microsoft restrains IHVs from shipping non-MS OS-es. Not only has it been found to be true in court, but I’ve seen it myself.

i can get pointers to functions like

glTexture3D ( no EXT or ARB! ), i can call them, i can bind GL_TEXTURE_3D and render it, there is no error… so far the nv20emulator wich i use on my gf2…

on the other side, there is nothing on screen if i enable GL_TEXTURE_3D…

but, as far as i see, its supported in the drivers theoretically ( they have too cause they say gf3 supports opengl1.2, and texture3d is gl1.2… )

cant wait to see if somewhen the screen is not black anymore would be so nice… wouldn’t it?

oh, and just to say, dx8 can create 3dtextures, they are just not aviable on the hardwaredrivers… the softwarerenderer can use them ( very slow… )

hope to see texture3d on xbox… really hope so…

oh, and matt… who knows if billi is not standing near you with a gun pointing onto your head while writing this? no, seriously… somehow no one gives a real answer from nvidia, and this creates a lot of rumor… and cause everyone waits for xbox and cause xbox is not cheap for microsoft and cause games are delaied to be first on xbox than on pc we dont know what microsoft will do to have something great with its xbox… i know just one thing… i will buy an xbox, then download the free patch to code for xbox with vc ( or something like this it is… dont know… ) and then i will do free stuff for it… so microsoft payes for my xbox and i dont pay for theyr games…

oh, and of course i will buy a gamecube, nintendo simply rocks

oh, and btw, i prefer gaming q3 with 800x600 and FSAA 2x than 1600xsomething… i can see the edges even there and i dont like them… the very very detailed textures are very perfectly filtered ( with best settings, of course ) but the edges are edges anyways… thats why i like 800x600… then everything looks the same… wich is very realistic… letz look at quincadjldlfdf if it looks good… well see, but one thing i know, its a terrible name

Well, Dell ships Linux systems today, and we give them Linux drivers to use. Looks like no such thing is happening right now.

Then again, if MS wanted to withhold Windows from an OEM that threatened to use another OS, I would see nothing wrong with that.

• Matt

Originally posted by mcraighead:
Whoah… hold it with the conspiracy theories, there. There is no anti-Linux conspiracy. (And yes, I am including not just us, but also MS in that statement.) And regardless of your views on MS, it is completely absurd to suggest that they somehow restrain us from releasing Linux drivers, seeing as (1) we release the drivers and (2) they don’t restrain us, or anyone else (to my knowledge).

• Matt

ROFL*3

btw jwatte, couldn’t have said it better my self…

[This message has been edited by kaber0111 (edited 05-25-2001).]