geforce2 MX problems, please help..

One question to you: Have your formated your harddisk or system partiton? Well, I mean if you try to run Quake on a blank WIN, where you haven’t installed it, then there are some registry entries missing. You can solve this problem by installing an update to Quake 3.

Hope this helps…

bYe

Michael

Scavenger : Well, yes i did reformat my PC. You mean download the newest Point Release of Q3:A? But how would that fix the opengl problem? Oh well, worth a try i guess… Now to find one…

[This message has been edited by CVillafuerte (edited 02-24-2001).]

You have to do a clean uninstall of your display drivers but you cant uninstall the drivers wich is active so you have to make them unactive.

Follow this.
Ok: right click on your desktop-properties-settings-advanced settings-card-change-show all models-choose vga display and go ahead.
restart your computer.let the computer start with only vga display drivers.
Then you can uninstall your geforce drivers(Its real important you uninstall all display cards related drivers even thoose you have before your Geforce)
Then restart the computer again and install your geforce drivers. .

Thelv : Hmm… alright but there is no Settings card change show or models, the only options are : General, adapter, monitor, performance, color management, ELSA Driver settings, ELSA settings, ELSA Colorcontrol. What do i do now ?

Thanks!! : )

Ok

you have to change the general adapter(card).change-show all models-choose vga display and go ahead.
Restart your computer.let the computer start with only vga display drivers.
Then you can uninstall your geforce drivers(Its real important you uninstall all display cards related drivers even thoose you have before your Geforce)
Then restart the computer again and install your geforce drivers. .

Thelv : Alright, ill try to do that, ill try to find my way to it, and try to find a good version of Detonator 3 : )

Thanks!!

Hey, when i was testing QIII on my other computer, the OpenGL system works!, But I cant still figure out why it wont work here. The only main difference are :
Other comp has 8 alpha bits on display( mine has 0 I dont know what this means )
Other comp has 256MB and an Intel 800mhz

other stuff are exactley the same from what I remmember. When I removed the Elsa drivers and rebooted the computer didnt ask for a new driver and i think i already disabled it. I reverted back to Elsa drivers by the way.

Thanks.

Hey, I forgot to mention, my other computer also has nvidia 6.31 and elsa ( The nvidia is disabled ) might help though.

Thanks.

Your config really should work
Ive done a list with all openGL related problem I know. Some of it can be related to you. Read it carefully and see If can be to help.

It seems that win2k have a lot of problems with open gl.
Win2k is reckon as NT and NT have often got problem with games
especially open gl.

The following points causes a lot of problem with Open GL

*The dva line in win ini. (solution in bottom)

*To many graphiccard drivers you really have to delete in registry and the inf-files to get a clean install of new
drivers.

*Win2k the programmers seems dont bother doing drivers that will work.

*The via chipset. You often have to update your agp-drivers to get Open gl to work on a via mobo.(the aperature size is important to.) when you install the new AGP-drivers never choose the turbo version.

AGP-problem:

Try switching to AGP1X using your BIOS setup This may help, but will reduce performance slightly.
Check your AGP aperture size in your BIOS Setup. Start at half of what your total system memory is and save it.

*If you have managed to download the OPENGL-setup(80mb) remember to force the drivers over the existing drivers if you been prompted(the gl-setup contains the latest drivers for the most common cards if you already have the latest from your card manufactors just skip the gl-setup.

• Half-life and other openGL games have opengl.dll files in the games root. If you have friends with working openGL copy and change your game-root .dll files

*The biggest problem is card manufactors telling us they got cards and drivers that work with open GL but they just dont.

Here is a formula if you want to do a clean uninstall of Creative display drivers It should work with other manufactors to if you know the ending:

• Run any uninstall from Add/Remove Programs for the drivers. These frequently are
    not totally thorough but should be done anyway.
    After you reboot, delete these files
    In C:\Windows\System: nv*., bc., bls., 3dbg.*
    (the latter 3 only apply to Creative drivers)
    In C:\Wwindows\Inf: drvdata.bin, drvidx.bin, 3dbg*.inf, nv*.inf
    In C:\Inf\Other: 3dbg*.inf, nv*.inf
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Creative Tech\Blaster Control 3.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls
    Folder\Device\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\Blaster Control 3.0
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls
    Folder\Device\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\NVTweak
    (look under Controls Folder\Display as well as Device keys here for
    Blaster Control or NVTweak keys)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
  • look for bcdetect or NVInitialize entries on the right side and
    delete them but not the whole Run key. Also, check the RunOnce
    key for the same entries.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OpenGLdrivers
  • delete the RIVATNT entry on the right side

After you have done this do a reinstall of windows(not format).
Then install the original drivers to your garaphiccard(not detonators)
Don’t install any open GL drivers separately.

The DVA problem:

Click Start / Run.
Type “win.ini” (without quotes) and press OK.
Search for a line that says “DVA=0” (without quotes).
Add a semicolon ( before the DVA (The line should now look like this: “;DVA=0” (without quotes))
Save and close the file
If you find this causes more problems, just take out the semicolon.
Note that not everyone has this line, and if there is none you’ll have to try another solution.

Thoose are the most common probs. Hope you will be helped.

Thelv : Oh really??? Hmm… Thanks for the info : ) ill print all those out on my other computer and try some experiments ( And hopefully I wont screw up. ) Ill tell you what happens tommorrow… I wont have time right now.

If you need any info on my PC or on my other PC please ask : )

Thanks Thelv!! : )

[This message has been edited by CVillafuerte (edited 03-02-2001).]

Oh by the way I forgot to mention, I noticed that my ELSA date on the " Video Device section " is 4-23-1999!, But the Elsa software date is 2000 and 2001…

Thanks!

Thelv : Hey, I tried all of the methods you gave me, still it won’t work. Oh well… Ill try to mess with the drivers abit… Oh and do you know what " Alpha bits " are? Mine is set to 0, while my other pc is set to 8. ( In opengl )

Thanks.

I noticed that my motherboard only supports 2x AGP mode bus, could that be the problem?

Thanks.

btw, will installing and uninstalling Quake III arena mess up my windows registry system ? If so, how can I fix it?

Thanks.

Hello

No install and uninstall of games doesnt matter but install and uninstall of display drivers do matter.

This AGP 2x I have to check up I think the problem occur when you do AGP 4x.

cu

Okay… My Motherboard only has the max AGP of 2x. My other pc’s motherboard however, can do AGP 4x. Both brands are from ASUS.

Thanks!