GeForce 2 mx slower then Geforce 1?

This is also related to counter strike. I play at 1024 x 768 res. I get 70 fps all the time. However whenever I get to close to smoke from a smoke grenade my fps drops to 30, I am not even talking about walking through the smoke. My fps drops to 12 - 15. I haven’t a clue what to do. It happends in both opengl and direct3d. My pc is

Thunderbird 1.2
256 ram
geforce 2 mx
dsl connection

Can’t help you with the counterstrike problem, but about the question in the title, I believe that the answer can be “yes”. It will most likely be slower than a GeForce DDR (since the MX is SDR), and I’ve seen some benchmarks suggestion that at times it can even be a bit slower than the GeForce SDR.

Thanks for making that clear

Anyone have any ideas otherwise?

Smoke slows everyone down. I love to throw grenades, and when I do, everyone complains. And everything, even me, gets slower.

I would suggest (assuming you don’t want to get a faster vid card and MB and CPU) that you learn to live with it. 30 FPS is about as fast as a person can see.

Other than that? Get on a server that doesn’t allow smoke or… Check some of the HL etc web sites to turn down the smoke intensity settings in HL.

Thanks Windows_Me_baby, I did that so now it hovers around 25 fps, but the problem somehow related to that is that my mouse becomes slooow, like I turn it, but I turn only .3 secs later. Clueless on that problem

Thanks though

I think you have to open one cs file and change a value but I only read about it somewhere since I don’t have cs I can’t be specific about the file and what to change.

smoke sux
but i only have a g400 and the same results as u.
try to overclock

Thanks JD, I’ll try to find out

Otherwise, I turned down the smoke complexity by inserting this line into my autoexec.cfg:

fastsprites 1

goto www.tweak3d.net for more HL/CS tweaks

Oh yeah, you found it That’s the one I was thinking of.

I didn’t have that problem for a while then when i upgraded to V1.1 the smoke made my fps go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. I have a geforce 1. i installed windows me though and it seemed to stop. make sure you have the latest driver.