Game Demo

this is the game i am developing at the moment - it is basically an excuse to learn openGL (and hence is my 1st opengl venture).

the level deformation is incredibly slow at the moment (see: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002078.html
for a description of this problem) so i recommend you disable it using the options menu.

anyway - what do you think?

(check out my text file based menu/particle systems, look in “menus/.mnu" and "emitters/.emi” for examples).

windows only at the moment im afraid

http://www.yorvik.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/files/gamedemo.zip

I can’t see any of the text on the buttons past the main menu.

After blindly clicking on buttons, I actually got into the game. None of the tanks or anything show up. I do, however see the snowflakes and little white puffs when they hit the ground. I can see the terrain just fine and the trail left by the projectile. How are you doing the terrain and performing collision on the terrain? Also what GUI library are you using and what sound library? Thanks!

Oh yeah, I’m running Win2k on Thunderbird 1Ghz and a Matrox 450 if that helps you figure out the problems with some of the textures not showing up.

I saw everything without any problems on my TNT. Game looks to be on a good start. Very annoying delay though (up to 1.5 to 2 seconds) whenever a projectile hits the terrain. I guess this is the problem you were refering to before? That terrain appears to be one big bitmap. Correct? You might want to split the terrain into several smaller segments so that gluBuildMipMaps doesn’t take so long. Or get the sub-texture code working .

it looks nice
but every time the projectile hits the ground a delay occurs
also the camera does not follow the projectile and there is no scroll
with that and new levels and new weapons your game would be very nice

i disabled level deformation and it
works fine

i realized that there is a scroll bar
but it would be nice if you could put zoom
and if you put better resolution

the game worked just fine on duron 700Mhz
and tnt2 16mb

i wish you all luck with that game
keep on making the games

how did you make that smoke it’s very good

This game remebers me of the good old times when we used to sit in front of the computer together playing old dos games like Bomb 3.2, where one could buy many different weapons etc, just like yours, only with ugly graphics… Good job! I want to have the release version…

How are you doing the terrain and performing collision on the terrain? Also what GUI library are you using and what sound library?

DFrey is correct, it is a simple bitmap and all collisions are checked against the origional bytes loaded from the targa (which are not free’d when the texture is created).

i wrote the gui myself (the menu editor prog is not mine though - i just changed the load/save code to be compatible with my menu format) and the sound is strait directsound (although i got DS the code from a website somewhere - anything that keeps me insulated from DirectX is something i want!)

the annoying explosion delay is gone (got glsubimage working ) so deformations are pretty much instant now

That’s great to hear! BTW, I realize this is taboo on this board but do you still have the link to where you got the DirectSound code? I’ve been trying OpenAL and it’s just not mature enough (can’t even get up-to-date docs on it so that it will compile!). And DS seems to be a BEAR! I’ve got a somewhat similiar game in the works but, as you can imagine, the lack of sound detracts tremendously from it. Also, how are you parsing and executing your “cmd” statements in your GUI engine? Do you register all your functions with a class that keeps a list of your routines and then search the list with parsed strings? Or have you found another way? Anyway, keep it up! BTW, I like the Scorched Earth refference. Such a CLASSIC! My game is also a “Scorched” game. More info to follow on that.

do you still have the link to where you got the DirectSound code

i wouldnt have thought so - it was a sort of tutorial and ive modified the hell out of it since…

Also, how are you parsing and executing your “cmd” statements in your GUI engine? Do you register all your functions with a class that keeps a list of your routines and then search the list with parsed strings?

thats almost exactly what i do! i store a std::map of command strings and function pointers - when a command is recieved, i look it up in the map and call the proper function. the command handling code is purely procedural - no object orientation.

the menu’s internally are completely object oriented, however. the only non OO code in the entire project is the UI command resposnse.

cool, played it for a few rounds…
only one time I shot directly at the person next to me(the ground had been destroyed) and I got an error that it tried to reference memory it shouldn’t have… would your logfile give you info that might help you find out what happened? if so, e-mail me at mitch@hayenga.com and I’ll send it along… cool game…