Frame Rate Puzzle ?

Originally posted by rgpc:
I can think of 1 situation where a fixed low frame rate (ie. Not letting your application run as fast as possible) might be useful - LCD.[/b]

Hold on for a second. There ARE other applications out there that use OpenGL than games. A fixed frame rate (or a capped max frame rate) can be good or even necessary in applications that visualize data AND do other kind of heavy processing as well.

So, lets not go all crazy about how a free-running frame rate is always the best thing. As with everything else, it all boils down to what your product is intended for.

/Henrik

[This message has been edited by CAD_Swede (edited 05-06-2003).]

Our game* runs at a fixed 60Hz, and for a good reason - it’s “2D”, and humans are incredibly good differential detectors. A 2D game looks absolutely awful if the framerate varies. Not only that but animation looks awful when framerate varies, even in 3D. To correctly address to problem you need to determine your minimum specs to attain a particular frequency - 50Hz is about as slow as you can get before it stops looking smooth but 60Hz is the usually supported rate - and then tune the animation for that frequency, and cap it at that rate. The experience is vastly better than a varying framerate, and after a few seconds, indistinguishable even on a super-duper 85Hz monitor. If the game’s so boring you’re noticing the flicker anyway - well, who cares ?

Cas

• old alpha only, release 10th June with any luck

rgpc, your ad hominem post ignores most of what I’ve written. I suggest you go back and read my post again without your selective editing and try to understand the very compelling reasons for fixed frame rates. It doesn’t matter that your monitor supports different frame rates, it only supports ONE AT A TIME. Whatever that is, your frame rate should be some multiple of it, prefferably a fixed multiple, ideally one frame each refresh. Animation code cannot handle variably latency unless it is predictable. It’s just unfortunate we even need to touch on the whole notion of double buffering sync’d to vertical retrace in an advanced forum. Everyone in every industry that uses computer graphics has a deep appreciation for this except games. The gaming community didn’t rewrite the rule book, some people just foolishly ignored some key rules about visual quality due to benchmarketing, the way to visual quality still includes the application of these principals, ignoring them doesn’t make you right, it just reduces the quality of your user experience.