FBO,MRT and multisampling

Hi there:
I have 2 problem with fbo;
1:
I bound 4 textures to 1 fbo with
glFramebufferTexture2D(GL_FRAMEBUFFER, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0 + i, GL_TEXTURE_2D, m_fbo.tId[i], 0);
4 textures are diffrent size. 512 * 512, 256 * 256, 128 * 128 and 64 * 64
after I rendered secen,only the smallest size texture is correct, and all the others only update part of image(which equal to 64 * 64 at lower- left corner),is that means FBO MRT doesn’t support different target size?

2:
I created 2 fbos, one use glRenderbufferStorageMultisample to get multisampling working,and after rendered secen, i use glBlitFramebufferEXT(0, 0,w1, h1, 0, 0, w2, h2, GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT, GL_NEAREST) to render fbo1 to fbo2’s texture;
if w1 == w2 && h1 == h2, witch means fbo2’s size same as fbo1’s render storage, it works ,otherwise i get a black image.
so my quesstion is : does it have to be same size when blit from a multisampled fbo to other texture binded fbo?

Thanks for your helps

When you blit a multisampled fbo, the source and the destination must have the same dimension. If not, a GL_INVALID_OPERATION is generated. So the answer of your question is yes. See the glBlitFramebuffer documentation at the end.

Thanks for your reply trinitoluene.
According to the answer, it seems that it isn’t possible to get downsampled(and also multisampled) secen image in one path. Then only 2 choicese left.

1. gen a MS supported FBO with full screen size, blit to an equal size texture bind fbo, then generate 4 fbos and render quads for each one to get downsampled images.
  2. almost same as above, but just use blit to get 4 texture binded fbos.(I should be able to use blit here,because the new fbo’s include the full screen one isn’t MSed anymore)
    Which one should be faster?, because I have tried it on my project, I didn’t see much FPS diffrence.
    Btw, is there any other faster way to do this?
    Tanks for your helps!

I don’t know if it is possible to do that. Suppose we have 2 FBO. The first FBO is multisample and the second is a FBO with a mipmap texture attached. Limit the base and max level of your mipmap. The mipmap texture have level 0 attached to color attachment 0, level 1 to color attachment 1 … level 3 to color attachment 3. First resolve (blit) your multisampled FBO with the mipmap texture at level 0 which must have the same size. Then blit the level 0 in level 1, level 0 in level 2, level 0 in level 3. The problem is that I never tested to blit a FBO with the same id for the read and the write target but with different color attachment for read and write buffer. So maybe you can try this:

//resolve the multisample framebuffer and generate level 0
 glBindFramebuffer(GL_READ_FRAMEBUFFER,fbo_multisample);
  glReadBuffer(GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0);
  glBindFramebuffer(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER,fbo_mipmap);
  glDrawBuffer(GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0);
  glBlitFramebuffer(0,0,
		    GL_COLOR_ATTACMENT,GL_NEAREST);

//Blit to generate level 1
 glBindFramebuffer(GL_READ_FRAMEBUFFER,fbo_mipmap);
  glReadBuffer(GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0);
  glBindFramebuffer(GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER,fbo_mipmap);
  glDrawBuffer(GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT1);
  glBlitFramebuffer(0,0,
		    GL_COLOR_ATTACMENT,GL_LINEAR);

//Blit to generate level 2

glDrawBuffer(GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT2);
  glBlitFramebuffer(0,0,

//Blit to generate level 3

glDrawBuffer(GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT3);
  glBlitFramebuffer(0,0,

Thank you trinitrotoluene
I will try this method. And it seems that you recomand blit rather than draw quad. Also this method should be almost equvalent as the method I metioned above except I gen 4 fbos and you only use one. And fbo itself doesn’y have storage, so it doesn’t save memory either.
Am I right?

And it seems that you recommend blit rather than draw quad
I don’t know if I understand you well, but you must do the 4 framebuffer blit to texture first, then use the generated texture data on a quad or any other surface that have the right texture coordinates set.

Also this method should be almost equvalent as the method I metioned above except I gen 4 fbos and you only use one. And fbo itself doesn’y have storage, so it doesn’t save memory either. Am I right?
Yes, I was suggesting this method only because your 4 textures size is a sub set of a mipmap texture of size 512x512.

ARB Framebuffer spec does say it supports attachments of different sizes (does not generate incomplete FBO) - but actually using those different sizes - thats a different story!

Also the spec is carefully worded with regard to BlitFrameBuffer, The SRC and DST FBOs do not have to always be the same size - depending on the operation. Colour attchments can be different sizes and will be stretched if GL_LINEAR is specified. If GL_NEAREST is used - no copy is performed.
For Depth/Stencil operations you must use GL_NEAREST and this means the W and H must be the same.