Fastet OpenGL access under OS X?

Hi folks,

just wanted to start some OGL demo coding under OS X but am not sure which the fastest access to OpenGL under OS X is. We have CGL, AGL, OGL and so on … I would also preferable use c or cpp so what should i use? Access to the full OGL API should be given.

Thx and best regards

Iggi

(1) Go to HP web site (www.hp.com)
(2) Order 1.8 GHz HP Pavillion laptop with 512MB ram for $899.
(3) Re-connect to www.Opengl.org
(4) Download Opengl development kit and sample code for Windows XP.
(5) Happy coding!

Second Alternative:

(1) Go to HP web site (www.hp.com)
(2) Order 1.8 GHz HP Pavillion laptop with 512MB ram for $899.
(3) Visit http://www.RedHat.com/apps/download and download Linux RedHat 9.
(4)Visit www.opengl.org download Linux Opengl developent kit .

(5)Start coding.

PS - I suggest dual booting both linux and XP on the same machine.

All the APIs give you exactly the same speed of access to OpenGL, because all use the same OpenGL entry points.

(This board /so/ needs moderators)

If you want to use C or C++, you have to use either CGL or AGL. CGL doesn’t allow you to interact with windows, it’s only good for fullscreen. AGL is Carbon.

(I really hope they keep their promise and add moderators with the site redesign)

You could also use GLUT or SDL and be cross-platform…

(I’m sick of 13 year-old idiots trolling these boards… at least AMD Power can spell and is reasonably polite I suppose… and suggesting Linux gets brownie points)

If you’re willing to consider Objective C, you get access to Cocoa’s NSGL classes. They basically fill the same role as AGL, but Cocoa’s easier to program in than Carbon if you want windows and menus and buttons and stuff.

Thx OneSadcookie,
I just ignore those poor kiddies, seems they think we do the same things they do and that´s not knowing other platforms and try to interrupt adults when they talk …

Getting back to my topic, Objective C would decrease portability that´s why i would prefer c/cpp (I like Obj-C for sure and the Cocoa env.).

Ok thx a lot and hopefully i get my Dual G5 / 9800 Pro soon, those 9 fans need some work to do …

Best regards

Iggi

Your usage of the words “fast”, “Mac”, OS X can be called an oxymoron.
But you have your answer anyway – OpenGL is equally slow on Mac OS no matter which API you access it with.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the trolls - they’re obviously not programmers, just kids doing what kids do.

Yes you’re quite right…I can tell from the way he types.
And you seem like you are an ace programmer yourself…

Oh, I am sorry. I was confused between idiots spewing bile because they have nothing to say and apparently no clue, and people asking questions around OpenGL on the Mac.

Now I look again, I can see that these people were obviously mature developers, busy people who’ve taken time out of their day to graciously stop by and give us the gift of their knowledge.

“Macs suck”
“Buy an PC”

Well, I’m certainly convinced. All this time, the OpenGL environment on my Mac has been an illusion. The GPUs from nVidia and ATi are just pieces of plastic, and it’s all done in software. It’s probably just DirectX anyway.

Damn you Apple! (shakes fist in general direction of US)

Yup, there are some truly enlightened people who grace these forums with their brilliance and wisdom. I can only hope that one day, in some small way, I can rise to even one percent of their obvious intelligence.

And my post did betray my complete lack of ace developer skills (or is that ‘skillz’?). Silly me - I should post 20,000 lines of source code every time I make an offhand comment, so that people can tell I’m a hobbyist developer and not some bozo off the street. I wonder if I registered, could I put my source code into a signature…

Originally posted by Gary Patterson:
[b]Oh, I am sorry. I was confused between idiots spewing bile because they have nothing to say and apparently no clue, and people asking questions around OpenGL on the Mac.

Now I look again, I can see that these people were obviously mature developers, busy people who’ve taken time out of their day to graciously stop by and give us the gift of their knowledge.

“Macs suck”
“Buy an PC”

Well, I’m certainly convinced. All this time, the OpenGL environment on my Mac has been an illusion. The GPUs from nVidia and ATi are just pieces of plastic, and it’s all done in software. It’s probably just DirectX anyway.

Damn you Apple! (shakes fist in general direction of US)

Yup, there are some truly enlightened people who grace these forums with their brilliance and wisdom. I can only hope that one day, in some small way, I can rise to even one percent of their obvious intelligence.

And my post did betray my complete lack of ace developer skills (or is that ‘skillz’?). Silly me - I should post 20,000 lines of source code every time I make an offhand comment, so that people can tell I’m a hobbyist developer and not some bozo off the street. I wonder if I registered, could I put my source code into a signature…[/b]

I Feel your pain my brother.

I didn’t say I hate macs…
You seem very confused.

Originally posted by Gary the Jerry('s kid):
I didn’t say I hate macs…
You seem very confused.

Who said I was talking about you?

These forums are crying out for serious moderators.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.